Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04LTS Wifi random occurance of disconnection (i know... i know just here me out)

Beans

Re: 12.04LTS Wifi random occurance of disconnection (i know... i know just here me ou

hello, thanks for replying in haste...

heres a link to all those you mention... click in the same fashion as the other link.

about renaming the SSID... i would do it but i would also tell you that that name has been the SSID since we first change it thats about 2 years ago and everyone in the house is getting connection... my android phone works as well too... this just happens about 1 month ago.... also my laptop is dual boot 12.04LTS/Wind7. window 7 wifi works charmingly.

a little background. I have this set up as soon as i bought the laptop and it work perfect in every way i love it (ok a few adjustments here and there or tweaks but nothing i couldnt resolve myself)... its just this past month that it happened... if i didnt reply quick enough im probably asleep... thanks in advance

also yes i did a compat wireless install... why i needed it because one of the ubuntuforums before i receive your help suggested to do so... when? about 2 days ago...

this is the version i dl in tarball2 compat-wireless-3.5.4-1-snp
    Last edited by FenrirXIII; August 16th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04LTS Wifi random occurance of disconnection (i know... i know just here me ou

Quote Originally Posted by FenrirXIII View Post
    about renaming the SSID... i would do it but i would also tell you that that name has been the SSID since we first change it thats about 2 years ago and everyone in the house is getting connection...
    ..I have this set up as soon as i bought the laptop and it work perfect in every way i love it
    .. and I'd hate to change what has been already working so far, but with the ever-growing bugs in these drivers with newer updates, I have learnt to never rule out any possibility without testing it first, no matter how small it appears, and never take things for granted.

So.. the change in SSID was just for a test, and I myself believe it most probably won't change anything. But since the most common fix couldn't help, I think we should start ruling out other possibilities, hoping to narrow down the culprit that way.

This approach also includes disabling the N-channel in your router and setting it to b/g mode only if your router provides that option.

One of my other *blind* shots is replacing the Network Manager with 'Wicd', but I think I'd wait for praseodym's suggestion before going that way.

Oh, and deleting the saved connections then reconnecting has been a 'magical' fix many times for many users, so try that as well.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying your post? This is why.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

lets check:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ath
    sudo iwlist scan
    iwlist chan
    iwconfig
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    ifconfig wlan0

Beans

heres an update... i try changing the SSID but it didnt work... it still disconnects randomly so i reverted it back..

heres the thing, I couldnt find how to disable n-wireless in my router so i did the following:

* forget all known network
    *instead of WPA2 i switch to WPA on my router settings(i dont know if thats going to make my laptop less secure or not) (also ths made the connection speed to 65Mb/s to 54Mb/s... which i dont mind)
    *reboot
    *connect to my wireless (as if it were the first time)
    *viola! it seem to work.

So far it hasn't disconnected yet.... but wont uncross my fingers just yet...

@praseodym ill consider those commands when it start to do it again cause i dont want to break this hunch just yet. i maybe onto something... also, thanks for reply... i will give you guys result of it in a few days... since, of course, dealing with random... we cant always know when itll occur.

another thing, what is the difference between WPA and WPA2(AES) is that more secure over "Big Brother"?

Beans

I don't know if this is helpful for you, but I had very similar symptoms on my Dell XPS 13 laptop, which uses an Atheros AR9462 card using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
    To fix it, all I had to do was:
    sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal
    This updates the Kernel from 3.2 to 3.5, and since then my wifi has been perfect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12