Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Elementary Luna

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Elementary Luna

Michael Langfermann just posted this:
    Top Things To Do After Installing Luna on Elementary Update.
    The guide includes:
    • Update
    • Midori and flash
    • Community ppa
    • Elementary tweaks
    • Wingpanel slim
    • Indicator synapse
    • Apps ( elementary styled applications in the Community PPA. )
    • Themes
    • Update your kernel

You should be all set to customize elementary OS Luna to your needs.
    Last edited by Stinger; August 14th, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Just found out howto add Medibuntu repository to Elementary Luna.
    Thought I might share if anyone else is having trouble
    It will give an error (I think it was 404) because it cant find any medibuntu repository for elementary luna.
    What you need to do is to tell medibuntu to use the precise repositories ( since luna is based on precise )

This is the usual way of adding the repository:
    Code:
    sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
    And here I replaced '$(lsb_release -cs)' with 'precise' to tell medibuntu to use the precise repository.
    Code:
    sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/precise.list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
    Not a biggie, but nice to know.
    Ps.
    It may be the same scenario for other repositories/PPA's using self authentication.
    Last edited by Stinger; August 16th, 2013 at 10:00 AM.

Beans

eos Luna IS based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. All the repositories are the same; the only difference here is the desktop environment.

Its fully 100% compatible with mainstream Ubuntu and third party repositories.

Beans

have just installed on a old netbook and so far so good.
    Many thanks for the links Stinger, they will tweak E a lot.

Beans
    Distro

@hg-knight
    I'm glad to have been of assistance.
    I'll keep info coming as I discover it
    So far Elementary Luna has been one big positive experience, with some minor bumps.
    I think Elementary has a lot going for it, it has a very responsive and attractive desktop, it stays out of the way when you use it, it's has all the benefits from ubuntu LTS without having to struggle with Unity .
    There has been an exclusive interview with DanRabbit on Muktware back in december 2010, I think it's worth a read to understand the philosophy behind the project and how it all started.

Ps. Whats the specs of your netbook ? I have a Lenovo ideapad S10e with a 1,6 GHz Atom processor and 1 GB RAM, I might be tempted to try Elementary Luna on that one too.
    Last edited by Stinger; August 17th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.

Beans

my netbook is
    Toshiba MB200-11L
    Intel® Atom™ processor N270

• 2,000 MB
    • DDR2 RAM (800 MHz)
    • Mobile Intel® GMA 950
    • all i have done is upgrade ram to 2gb.
    • so far so good

Usually run Xubuntu on it but i thought i'd give Elementary a go as i liked the first release , but they have moved on a lot since that release.
    Run Ubuntu on main laptop (which has a lot more power ) but I hate the way Ubuntu release every 6 months whether it runs right or not.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Really nice to see people enjoying Elementary OS! I know the developers put in a lot of hard work to build Luna and it is great to see their efforts paying off. The information about getting flash working in the default browser is great too because it helps preserve it's great default applications and speed. My hats off to the developers for such a well built and thought out release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Running Luna now on an old laptap, It's very fast, clean and simple compared to ubuntu. Interesting mix of stripped down but user friendly. Will definitely be giving it a longer trial. Just have to install what I need. My one issue is with ubuntu one, which was installed and I got access to my purchased apps. However it is not syncing to my files. I get an IPCError, which tells me Ubuntuone needs to close. Looking up the problem it seems that it can be fixed by altering files_sync_enabled = True in ~/.config/ubuntuone/syncdaemon.conf. That file is not there to change.

http://rtg.in.ua/2012/04/17/fixing-i...in-ubuntu-one/
    MS skill level -- I press buttons and stuff happens
    Linux skill level -- I copy and paste into the terminal and stuff happens!
    Mac skill level -- Wear a black turtleneck and stuff happens

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tadcan View Post
    My one issue is with ubuntu one, which was installed and I got access to my purchased apps. However it is not syncing to my files.
    Hi I'm glad you like Elementary Luna, I think it's pretty awesome myself, just did a test running multiple 3d games browser and other stuff on four or five desktops. the system was still very responsive. A true multitasking OS
    I took a screenshot to illustrate it.
    Skærmbillede fra 2013-08-23 15:46:48.jpg

Did you give this howto a go regarding ubuntu one ?

How to install Ubuntu One in elementary?

Beans

nice link

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast