Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elementary Luna

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Elementary Luna

Last edited by Stinger; April 12th, 2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Links updated to elementarytips.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro

Re: Elementary Luna

Nice.

I've tested the betas a few times and I liked what they were doing so I shall surely be grabbing the final ISO's in an hour.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Very pretty countdown, I'll definitely be here in an hour and seeding the torrent if there is one.
    // Blog

Beans

Best implementation of Mac OSX on Linux.

Downside is the Pantheon Files Manager is still crippled and the desktop is frozen solid. Plan on dumping it for Nautilus Files Manager since that's the only way to get a true right click working desktop on elementaryos.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    Downside is the Pantheon Files Manager is still crippled and the desktop is frozen solid. Plan on dumping it for Nautilus Files Manager since that's the only way to get a true right click working desktop on elementaryos.
    You have a quite valid point there. At least it saves us from cluttering up the desktop

I'm used to Caja from MATE ( improved old nautilus 2.something ), maybe Caja can be used instead too.

How do you use nautilus with elementary ?

Beans

Looks pretty nice. In fact, the promo video has the desktop set up pretty much exactly how I like to have it.

The one other gut reaction I have, and this applies not only to Elementary but the world of the Linux desktop in general, is that it looks like it uses a lot of native applications. For example, it's has its own file manager, music player, web browser, email client, etc. Do we really need so many different families of apps in the Linux world that do the same thing? Not that I really have a problem with it or anything; I understand that all these projects have their own goals in mind and there's nothing wrong with having so many of them, and in fact in my experience all these different apps tend to be very good. It just seems like, in a perfect world, we'd have maybe one or two programs to do each function and the rest of the developers would join one of these projects and improve them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Hey! I was in love with their Beta Luna....
    Very nice, very fast, very small n uber cool!!!!

Sad, After Installing Debian Wheezy, I am outta space to try out the final release...

Very polished desktop it gives... Based in Ubuntu12.04, now that was the downside , got many older versions of my applications...

But it was a lovely experience working on the Luna Beta all in all....
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    You have a quite valid point there. At least it saves us from cluttering up the desktop

I'm used to Caja from MATE ( improved old nautilus 2.something ), maybe Caja can be used instead too.

How do you use nautilus with elementary ?
    Uninstall Pantheon Files, install Nautilus. You may need to use Dconf to set up Nautilus to handle the desktop, put icons on it and make it fully right click. Log out and log in again to set the change. When you launch Nautilus, the icons should appear - like Computer, Home and Trash and you should have a right click desktop. If you want to use Caja in place of Pantheon Files, I guess it will restore similar functionality to the desktop. Most people are used to putting and removing things from their desktop!

Beans
    Distro

@NormanFLinux

I found this on Elementary Update

Enable Desktop Icons in elementary Luna

So it should be a doable task, will try later

Good site for following elementary, lots of good howto's, news and many other things.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    @NormanFLinux

I found this on Elementary Update

Enable Desktop Icons in elementary Luna

So it should be a doable task, will try later

Good site for following elementary, lots of good howto's, news and many other things.
    A plugin could be written for the Switchboard to make the desktop fully right click but since that is not in the cards, replacing Pantheon Files with Nautilus will work. I can understand having a clean desktop but people sometimes do want to have work where they can go to it immediately! You can of course go and work in a folder but that can be a drag at times.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast