Thread: Ubuntu Server 12.04 added 2nd NIC (eth1) and now eth0 will not receive updates

Beans

Ubuntu Server 12.04 added 2nd NIC (eth1) and now eth0 will not receive updates

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years and I recently decided to build a server. I used the onboard NIC on the motherboard as eth0, and then added a second NIC as eth1. Once I edited the /etc/network/interfaces file to include eth1, my server will not reach beyond my LAN. I could use a hand, please! Thank you. : )

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Server 12.04 added 2nd NIC (eth1) and now eth0 will not receive updates

you'll have to explain your setup a little bit more...

post your /etc/network/interfaces file

detail the subnets each card uses if they are different, are you using one static and one dhcp? both static or both dhcp?

what does the command:

route

give you?

post this info and someone should be able to help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu Server 12.04 added 2nd NIC (eth1) and now eth0 will not receive updates

Hi phoenix32.

Just like the naming of disk devices, the system names the network devices. My first guess is that they were named the other way around.

Check this by running:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    Each interface should have a like like this (with the device name assigned):
    Code:
    logical name: eth0
    Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

A little extra background... I installed Ubuntu Server with the onboard NIC (eth0) and then added the PCI NIC (eth1) after I had set up the server the way I wanted it (more or less).

Both are DHCP. I have a WAN and LAN that are separate (too many reasons to list!).

My /etc/network/interfaces reads as follows:

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The Primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

# The Secondary network interface
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

When I type "route" it reads as follows:

Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    default 78.81.82.88 0.0.0.0 UG 100 0 0 eth1
    78.81.82.88 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

I want eth0 (which is the WAN) to be the default, and I am guessing by the output that eth1 (which is the LAN) is the default.

The output from "sudo lshw -C network" is considerable, but it looks to me like "network:0" is the added in card, eth1, and "network:1" is the onboard NIC built into the motherboard (eth0).

Thanks for the prompt responses-- one of the things I love about being a part of this community! : )