Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you use Ubuntu for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Smile What do you use Ubuntu for?

Topic question that's generalized.

Usually I use it just to fool around with, either with Linux-only games, eye candy, etc. Sometimes I use it to fix Windows (startup, MBR, etc.), if that ever misbehaves (it hasn't on Win8...). It's just that I'm primarily a Windows user because all I ever care about is gaming. At least I have no hate towards Tux.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What do you use Ubuntu for?

Quote Originally Posted by rjsec4ever View Post

Usually I use it just to fool around with, either with Linux-only games, eye candy, etc. Sometimes I use it to fix Windows (startup, MBR, etc.), if that ever misbehaves (it hasn't on Win8...). It's just that I'm primarily a Windows user because all I ever care about is gaming. At least I have no hate towards Tux.
    As a former Windows 7 gaming user and now using an older tower machine with Windows XP i'm seriousely considering setting up a dual boot system with Xubuntu 13.04 and Windows XP just to get away from all the crap I have to deal with in Windows XP and the fact that come April 2014 Windows XP won't even be updated anymore.

I have the idea of it becoming my main OS to use for everyday browsing, listening to my music collection, checking email etcetera and at least having more options and choices of how I want to customize Xubuntu.

Beans

It's the operating system on my desktop and my laptop. I use it for pretty much everything. Even Photoshop has now been completely replaced by Gimp.

My wife has a Windows 7 laptop. I find this useful when I want to watch something on Love Film Instant or 4oD. I've not managed to get either working under Ubuntu despite considerable effort on my part.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To answer this question, I have to ask you a question that's nearly the opposite of what you asked me:

What do you use Windows for?

I use Linux for whatever you use Windows for.

A much quicker question to ask me is "What do you use Windows for", to which I would reply "The only thing I can't use Linux for: Filing my Australian tax return electronically. And even then, Windows is only inside a virtual machine."
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Everything, pretty much. To hell with using Windows.

Beans

With XP in VB, everything.
    I would not burn a DVD with anything but ImgBurn under XP. It never ever wasted a single CD/DVD up to now. The same cannot be said about Nero (XP), K3b, Brasero...Brasero, yes, I avoid that like plague.
    Since upgrading my system's ram to 6GB, VB has been very smooth.

Beans
    Distro

i am no longer a gamer, i mainly use ubuntu for most of my needs, internet, email, listening to music and i like to test the ubuntu development release and new software. for example on my main computer i dual boot ubuntu 13.10 64bit with xmir and u-s-c and manjaro 64bit. i also have a windows 8 laptop which i use for anything that requires windows and doesn't work with linux. ie some goverment application websites and job application websites etc.

Beans
    Distro

Everything but a few windows only titles, which I dual boot for.

Yeah, windows is unfortunately the only choice if you PC game most of the time, I can only wait till all those games start getting made for linux as well
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro

Everything but a few windows only titles, which I dual boot for.

Yeah, windows is unfortunately the only choice if you PC game most of the time, I can only wait till all those games start getting made for linux as well
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I wouldn't mind using Windows 8 if it wasn't as unproductive a mess it is. I hated it so much I purchased a new desktop PC which came with no OS preinstalled and installed Ubuntu on it. I use Ubuntu for both home and work use. I would like the open source Radeon driver to be better than it currently is and I'm hoping it will improve in 13.10 and above. In comparison, I'm willing to make that trade off compared to Windows 8's "entertainment" interface (aka Metro) helping you to be as unproductive as possible. It's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by megaresp View Post
    It's the operating system on my desktop and my laptop. I use it for pretty much everything. Even Photoshop has now been completely replaced by Gimp.

My wife has a Windows 7 laptop. I find this useful when I want to watch something on Love Film Instant or 4oD. I've not managed to get either working under Ubuntu despite considerable effort on my part.
    You could look into this: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/h...flix-on-ubuntu

Works for me using the netflix-desktop package. The video quality isn't as good as on Windows/Mac though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast