Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu vs Mint

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu vs Mint

Indeed, you asked some good questions many think about. I hope that your MRIs go good, may God bless you in that. I hope that you enjoy whatever distro you go with.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'll further complicate your life . I'm using Gnome-Shell. It had a rocky youth but I prefer it with some additions over Unity though I have both installed. Unity & gnome shell are similar but I just can't really get used to Unity's flow. Very much a personal preference, as are most desktop choices. Still beats "You WILL use this and you WILL like it!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RadicaX View Post
    Unity sorta does work out for tablets and stuff, and they seem to be moving that direction, but there are many ways around this, like the derivatives of Ubuntu. I use Xubuntu for example. It is a bit more desktop friendly if you ask me, but so is mint and the such with that. Even if you get one of the Desktops, and do not like the interface later down the road, it is possible to switch to another Desktop-environment! I have LXDE as my second DE on there, which is what Lubuntu does. That is pretty easy to do..
    I never have a tablet. I only use Unity on the desktop and find it very usable, in fact the best desktop DE IMO. You just need to configure a few things with ccsm (add multiple desktop for 13.04, activate scale and edge flip for wall/cube for work place switching if you want to use the mouse instead of keyborad and optionally the shift switcher which I like better than default alt-tab) The dash is a real killer feature, much better in finding applications and files than the menu

And people sadly do not like so much freedom of choice, Linux users do. So when Canonical said, Here is unity, this is how we compute, Linux users were not happy. But it works for the public basically.
    I also use KDE (with Fedora) in another partition, supposedly the most configurable of all Linux DEs with so many options that make your head spins, but seriously I don't know what "freedom" that I am missing in Unity (and the plasma widgets are buggy)

Under the hood Ubuntu is still Linux with all its power and flexibility, I don't see how Canonical is trying to dictate the way you compute. People who are hung up on trivial things like where to put the launcher and whether they can populate their panel with tons of useless indicators are probably not using their computers for real productive work anyway.

As you say Ubuntu has different flavours, so in that sense I also don't see how "freedom" is taken away either. Ubuntu has to have a default DE. if it is not Unity it would be something else, say gnome-shell, those who don't like it would be faced with the same (non) problem.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 10th, 2013 at 12:23 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I'll further complicate your life . I'm using Gnome-Shell. It had a rocky youth but I prefer it with some additions over Unity though I have both installed. Unity & gnome shell are similar but I just can't really get used to Unity's flow. Very much a personal preference, as are most desktop choices. Still beats "You WILL use this and you WILL like it!!!
    Can't search files with gnome-shell's dash, I also prefer the multiple desktop implementation in Unity (I know gs's dynamic desktop is supposed to be great feature, it is, but I prefer the way compiz does it, hence Unity) Otherwise they are similar and I like gs as well. I have gs 3.8 on Debian.

Beans

I just returned from the hospital for a day of X-rays and MRI's, so I must apologize for seeming ungrateful in not responding to all your suggestions. Spent much of the day naked. Wasn't a pretty sight I can assure you.

First of all, I assume that Ubuntu Linux is the ongoing OS "engine", and that:

1) Mint simply adds a "veneer" of multiple desktop choices and a bag full of ready-to-go drivers?

2) Same goes for Zorin OS?

3) Comment from OCN:
    To be honest, Mint and Ubuntu are functionally the same. The support provided on the Ubuntu Forums can answer questions for both distributions. The differences are minor. Ubuntu installs by the Unity desktop by default, which you will probably hate or perhaps mildly dislike. Mint gives you the option to install various desktop environments like Cinnamon, Mate, and XFCE by default. You can still run these desktops in Ubuntu, but you have to set them up post-installation.
    OK, that raises the obvious question of just how does one go about selecting a desktop and customizing for one's own personal needs? My present Win 7 Desktop, for example, has a Taskbar at the bottom with the icons I am most likely to use, then I have everything else labeled and grouped with "Fences" (software program). I could really give a **** about Windows blessed Start Button, because I almost never use it anyway (only rarely for accessories, etc.).

4) I haven't looked into this but Jocky
    (Automated driver discovery and installation wizard)
    looks to be an absolute godsend.

Here for me is the Ultimate Question: Why can't I just install an LTS version of Ubuntu ---- and add a desktop/customize a desktop later?

One more question (before you guys have me hauled away): Can you recommend a book that will bring me up to speed so that I know as much about Ubuntu as I do Windows (23 years)?
    Btw, I remember a lot of you guys from way long ago the last time I posted. Thank you for giving so much when I have so very little to contribute!

Beans
    Distro

Basically you have it right Incurable, Ubuntu is a fork of Debian, it came from people that liked how stable Debian was, but wanted some newer programs coming out faster for it, so Ubuntu is built upon debian with it's own vault of programs, and thus is different. further forks like Mint, are based on Ubuntu, but they wanted to do something different, they had a different goal.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2160379&page=2

This was a question I had a while back, and they answered a lot of them about adding Desktop environments and stuff to your machine, page two explained a bit more what that exactly was.

If you just want your task bar on the bottom with the items you are going to use, XFCE can be used to do that, I can add items on the toolbar, move their placement, change the colors, blah blah. KDE sorta comes like that with it at the bottom already when I tried it, (Looks pretty much dead on for Win7 with no need to customize really, but can be done with ease.)

XFCE is better for older machines or things with not as much power under the hood though, you might need to add office programs, KDE is the eye candy desktop, and for now a bit more bloated. (keyword, for now.) I my self am not a fan of Unity, you can see some people do not feel it has taken any freedom away for a DE, and they love it for a desktop, I think it might be okay for a touch screen computer, but that is me.

Books, my friend, the best book on it is wikipedia. There are lots that teach you CLI and stuff for free, and I believe the forums has a link for that. But I mostly just surf the web looking up either the documents, or asking questions myself to learn about Linux. Ubuntu, it was the first one I found, and one of my favorite ones I have tried.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Ubuntu vs Mint

RadicaX, that was hugely helpful. I agree with you about books. There's plenty of free pdf's on the net. I just downloaded and printed the user manual for Ubuntu 13.04 and will go through that.

Agree with you
    the best book on it is wikipedia
    I contribute (money) to this project on a regular basis, arguably one of the most valuable info sources on the net.

What I'm gathering by putting bits and pieces of info together is that I can install Ubuntu and then play with different desktops and desktop customizations later.

Btw, I followed your link and without too much effort found this http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/30/h...ment-in-linux/

That link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2160379&page=2 was super helpful, and I'll go through it thoroughly tomorrow as well as the links in Wikipedia.

Thank you so much.

Beans
    Distro

Okay I am glad this has helped you in what you pick, and things to look through. Wikipedia is a great source, sometimes I encounter mistakes on important issues, computers tend not to be a life and death kind of thing though. So they can give you a lot of info. And you found a good link already that gives a pretty good description of it all.

http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/

There is a comic book that has some neat info about Ubuntu and some of the stuff in it, but it is pretty basic. (I still read it, and got a bit of cool info out about it.) And if you want, you can learn to use Shell. This can make working with files and doing things much easier, and you can do it on a lot of different kinds of linux OSes and not just one.

http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php

Really, Ubuntu is very gui oriented, and coming from Windows, you hardly ever need to touch the command-line in it, So it is not needed as much, but it can be a major help at times. apt-get is an amazing program to use. (but I hear about to change to something else...) Anyway, if you have questions or anything, regardless what they are, give a search, and or ask. The people on here tend to be pretty helpful.

Beans

Cool Re: Ubuntu vs Mint

I have one more question. Then I promise I will go away and fall in a very deep hole.

Why on earth would I opt for the LTS of 12.04 over the more "progressive" 13.04?

Note: With Windows I typically do a reinstall every year anyway to flush out all the "bad stuff". Headache, I know. But no matter how good you take care of Windows, it does slow down over time. I'm guessing it's the same with Ubuntu.

Also, so you guys don't think just another forum butterfly, I do copy, print and study everything you say; also follow all the links you provide. Got all of you on my Christmas list too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have not found the same behavior with Ubuntu. It does not tend to slow down over time, but if your disk fills up and you run out of space or if you have low RAM, then any linux will run slow and you will know right away that something is not right. But I have never had to reinstall any linux distro due to "bad stuff" in several years of use.

Use 12.04 if you want stability and 13.04 if you don't mind tweaking things that don't work correctly after install. You will get newer versions of packages with 13.04 and that may or may not be important to you depending on how you use your computer.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast