Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remove Workspace Switcher from Launcher: Impossible?

Beans

Re: Remove Workspace Switcher from Launcher: Impossible?

I've seen your unity appearance problem in other posts.
    I have Gnome, gnome-fallback and xfce DE's installed and unity is very stable.

Have you used the gnome3 ppa?
    If so, may want to re-enable and purge.

PS I found you can remove the Workspace Switcher in dconf-editor while still using multiple desktops.
    In com.canonical.Unity.Launcher favorites
    you can remove the 'unity://expo-icon' entry.
    Note each entry is enclosed in single quotes followed by a comma and then a space.
    The icon disappears immediately on the change.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stinkeye; August 10th, 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Beans

Okay, stinkeye, this might be a game-changer for me. Because not only did it work, it also means I can use this as a way to add permanent elements to the launcher. At least I hope so.

Marking this thread solved (speaking of which, thanks for keeping the most useful signature on the forums )

Thanks!
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by r_avital View Post
    Okay, stinkeye, this might be a game-changer for me. Because not only did it work, it also means I can use this as a way to add permanent elements to the launcher. At least I hope so.

Marking this thread solved (speaking of which, thanks for keeping the most useful signature on the forums )

Thanks!
    Ok, good.

You may find the gsettings command useful.
    Once the launcher is set up how you like you can save the current setting.
    eg
    Code:
    gsettings get com.canonical.Unity.Launcher favorites
    glen@Raring:~$ gsettings get com.canonical.Unity.Launcher favorites
    ['application://gnome-terminal.desktop', 'application://nemo.desktop', 'unity://running-apps', 'unity://devices', 'application://opera-browser.desktop', 'application://gedit.desktop', 'application://gnote.desktop', 'application://smplayer.desktop', 'application://gpodder.desktop', 'application://shutter.desktop', 'application://FFgenie.desktop', 'application://ConkyTimer.desktop', 'application://keepassx.desktop', 'application://Synaptic.desktop', 'application://gnome-system-monitor.desktop', 'application://Conky-Control.desktop', 'application://My Links.desktop']
    You can save that output in a bash script to implement this launcher setting when needed.
    Use the output from the gsettings get command, enclosed in double quotes with the gsettings set command.
    eg
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Launcher favorites "['application://gnome-terminal.desktop', 'application://nemo.desktop', 'application://opera-browser.desktop', 'application://gedit.desktop', 'application://gnote.desktop', 'application://smplayer.desktop', 'application://gpodder.desktop', 'application://shutter.desktop', 'application://FFgenie.desktop', 'application://ConkyTimer.desktop', 'application://keepassx.desktop', 'application://Synaptic.desktop', 'application://gnome-system-monitor.desktop', 'application://Conky-Control.desktop', 'application://My Links.desktop', 'unity://running-apps', 'unity://devices']"

To reset the launcher to default use....
    Code:
    gsettings reset com.canonical.Unity.Launcher favorites
    Last edited by stinkeye; August 10th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.

Beans

Wow, that's a bonus. Thanks for the very useful info.

Saving this thread for future reference. xubuntu is still crashing for me with compiz (I know, compiz is a losing proposition). Giving Mint+MATE a last try, as that is all gnome2 code. If that doesn't work, I'll reinstall Raring from scratch, and try to live with unity/Gnome3, as much as I dislike it.

Thanks again!
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12