Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a new laptop...which to get for Linux? Bought an HP Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Beans

Re: Need a new laptop...which to get for Linux? Bought an HP Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

NVM: I typed too slowly again.

Don't get that Acer you linked to. It has hybrid/switchable AMD graphics. Avoid that like the plague!

The Dell and the Asus look pretty similar in terms of CPU/GPU. They both have an Intel HD4000 GPU, which is great for Linux. (Note that Sam's lists the Asus' CPU speed as 2.7GHz, which is the turbo speed. It runs at 1.8GHz normally.)

It would be nice to know what sound and wireless chipsets they use. It would also be nice to know the model of HP you're struggling with.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Need a new laptop...which to get for Linux? Bought an HP Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Your HP looks like a nice enough laptop. So instead of replacing it, try solving the issues first. Chances are it'll work perfectly after some tinkering.

Suggestions:
    1) Before trying to install Linux make sure you have the latest BIOS version (just in case). Especially if you're going to wipe Windows 8 completely (upgrading BIOS without a Windows installation may be hard or even impossible in some cases).
    2) Specs show it comes with a 5400 RPM HDD. You might want to replace it with a good SSD to improve performance. And the HDD you could then use as an external USB drive (there is a lot of cheap enclosures for 2.5' drives).
    Last edited by prodigy_; August 9th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The H P Pavilion All-In-One come with Ubuntu installed. google searched it about 3 pm yesterday.
    "Let us run the risk of wearing out rather than rusting out." __Theodore Roosevelt

Beans

I know about Quickbooks not running on Wine, I tried myself. I use Gnucash, which is very nice if you are small business. But they don't have Estimates/Quotes and no way of tracking inventory. I actually considered moving to an open source solution a couple of years ago from Quickbooks in the office. Anyway I couldn't find anything (I'm still interested in the subject though as it seems to be one of the few things I can't find replacement in Linux)

You might be interested in this:

PostBooks
    PostBooks 3.2

Also you could check LedgerSMB. The packages are in the usual Ubuntu repositories but it might not easy to install in a server, but what I read online.

I didn't know about this package when I was looking but it looks very interesting and promising. And it has an inventory section to track sales.

Alternatively you can go for any of the online accountancy services including the Quickbooks offering:

QuickBooks Online

Good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well I have several laptops. Ubuntu 13.04 runs just fine on my Lenovo T61, and also on my HP G60-125nr. The only problems I have with my HP, which I also dual boot with Windows 7 that I use for my PLC software, is sometimes it will get caught in a startup loop. It is related to my wireless, but no problems at all with Ubuntu 13.04. Any laptop tech support people will want you to keep the original operating system on your computer and that is because that is what they have been trained to help people with. It's not so much that the HP support is against open source but it's because they know nothing much about it. Also most companies will void your warranty if you change your operating system to something different that they can't support.
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123