Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu isn't that great

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu isn't that great

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    sure it has bugs just like widnows has. try 13.04 version. with newer kernel (in linux drivers are part of kernel - so newer kernel, newer drivers). or install just latest kernel. but it really depends on what kind of bugs.
    +1 as for the kernel thing look at my post in the sticky http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2141858 (emphasis on the 2ed link in the post)
    I have been using xubuntu very stable no real bugs, but it lacks the effects unity has, but it should run your games faster since it lacks compiz (i miss the compiz from 3 years ago, it was so nice)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have used windows for a long time now, oh about 13 or more years, back when I was a wee lil lad. I had worked on my computer day and night to keep it secure and up to date. had AVG when it was just amazing, and Ad-aware, not to mention Spyware blaster set, and for years, I watched as my windows machine slowed down and crapped out. Regardless of what I did, seems sooner or later I would pick up some random virus here or there, especially if my family used it, "Oh the anti-virus popped up and said it was removing viruses..." nope....

If you have used windows with no problems, you do not have any windows, you have windows never been on the internet and is the perfect set of hardware with it windows. No OS is perfect, trying to say windows is so wonderful, especially to someone who has used it for so long, it is not going to fly. I could argue, I have not had millions of issues when I got Xubuntu 12.04, did I know everything? nope, I had to learn, these forums have helped with a lot of that.
    Maybe you should report those "bugs and millions of bugs" so the Ubuntu team can look into it and fix it up?
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A lot of bugs? I'm rocking the development release using open source graphic drivers and the experimental file system Btrfs, and I have only run across maybe one or two bugs ever. Report your bug so that it can be fixed, rather than just whining about it. Or you know, you could learn a programming language like C, C++, or Python and actually help fix those bugs yourself. Just a thought.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

and thoes lag spikes are are having are a bug with the nvidia driver (shows up with nvidia driver+ compiz) Nvidia claims to not be able to reproduce this issue, easly avoiding my not using compiz/unity
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

i hate installing windows fresh from the cd as installing all the drivers can be pain in the bum even with all the hardward drivers from official websites and there so called support. i would then spend hours installing the anti virus, software i need and all the updates which don't all install in 1 go you do so many updates then reboot then do some more updates and reboot. the point i am trying to make when you buy a computer from a shop with windows already on it. it has already been done for you granted you have alot a crap on there that you don't need do anything as it is all done for you.

when i install or reinstall linux. for example ubuntu. i install it, update it (in one go), install nvidia drivers, and then install couple of pieces of software i use. the shortest time i have done it all in is 1 hour start to finish, i am not saying linux is perfect because no OS is perfect and never will be.

also i bought a laptop with windows 8 on it and after about a month i did the updates and when i rebooted it, i lost all the metro icons i had so click the desktop icon and bubble told me i had booted in with temp profile, so i had to wait for a update to fix the problem caused by update from microsoft. when there was an update available i had to first fix the update manager as the last update broke that also then do the update to fix the profiles so it boot properly. not really a good impression of new windows 8 when they break it with updates.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by XG4GRhE View Post
    I'll tell you this, Windows 7 have yet to freeze or give me any issue on this system. All this "virus" talk on Windows is crap. If you know how to manage what's on your system you're not going to get a virus.
    You're right, there are a lot of polish issues on Ubuntu, and you're right that if you know how to manage what's on your system you're less likely to get a virus on Windows.

One of the issues is that Linux and Ubuntu move so fast that it's hard for a lot of it to keep up, and issues you are facing at the moment can be fixed any day and you may get new issues as well.

Try to think of Ubuntu 12.04 as Windows 7 Gold
    12.10 as Windows 7.1 Beta
    13.04 as Windows 7.2 Beta
    13.10 as Windows 7.3 Beta
    14.04 as Windows 7.4 Gold
    repeat that forever, 2 Gold every 2 years, and a beta release every 6 months in between for a total of 5 releases every 2 years..

(just in case the release number is the year and month it was released, so 12.04 = 2012 April, 13.10 = 2013 October)

Ubuntu/Linux continues to improve and get better all the time. For example we're right about to head into 13.10 where we are beginning to use a brand new display server to make the entire graphics stack work faster and smoother.

To provide the briefest description of the last 10 years ever:

10 years ago linux was a server product, it was designed for linux geeks, people who had the time and the care to play with it.
    6 years ago Ubuntu 8.04 LTS was released, your average IT guy could install it without trouble, had a lot of trouble with most hardware.
    4 years ago Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was released, it was the most polished version of the above, a new look Ubuntu Software Centre, it looked and worked well, but was not gaining outside of the IT crowd.
    3 years ago Ubuntu 11.04 was released, we moved from a Windows 95 era style interface to a modern 3d interface to try and capture a new audience, however a lot of bugs.
    1 year ago Ubuntu 12.04 LTS was released, the most polished version of Ubuntu yet, anyone who is even slightly good at computers should be able to install and use it.
    6 months ago Ubuntu 13.04 and Steam for Linux was released, a massive focus on the graphics stack with Canonical/Ubuntu announcing Mir and Linux devs continue to work to work on Wayland.

And it's only getting better, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by XG4GRhE View Post
    Every single thing I want to do turns out to be some issue or bug.
    What sort of things are you doing? What are some of the issues and bugs you are coming across?
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    ...And the only reason Windows has better hardware compatibility is because they twist OEM's arms into making sure their hardware works with Windows, and providing all specs to MS. When you control ~90% of the desktop PC market, you can do that sort of thing.
    Not to divert this rather vague thread, but if you have 90 percent of the market, you do not need to twist OEM arms. They're not in business for warm fuzzies. OEM support will follow the money, always. That's why they're in business in the first place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unless I missed it, the OP hasn't told us how much memory is in that machine, or what video driver is in use.

In any case, I've had reason this week to do an install of Windows 8 on the same machine I use for Linux. That's currently running the very nice Netrunner, a Kubuntu derivative out of Blue Systems. Win8 has some good things going for it. But, font rendering quality on typical desktop monitors is awful, at least in part by design. It's like look at Window 3.1.

And it locked up an hour or after fetching all the updates. (That, btw, is oh-so-much slower than on any Linux I've used.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Unless I missed it, the OP hasn't told us how much memory is in that machine, or what video driver is in use.

In any case, I've had reason this week to do an install of Windows 8 on the same machine I use for Linux. That's currently running the very nice Netrunner, a Kubuntu derivative out of Blue Systems. Win8 has some good things going for it. But, font rendering quality on typical desktop monitors is awful, at least in part by design. It's like look at Window 3.1.

And it locked up an hour or after fetching all the updates. (That, btw, is oh-so-much slower than on any Linux I've used.)

Windows 8 reminds me of this if you were ever one of those poor tortured souls to use AOL in the 1990's.

And there's a really good review of Windows 8 here that explains why it's just such a horrible flop as it is. After trying it out briefly for an hour a couple nights ago removing the usual drive by downloads and browser toolbars on a friends HP laptop I was not impressed at all by it and the sad thing is? My 2007 Dell tower here runs Lubuntu better and faster then her less then six month old laptop running Windows 8 does with faster CPU, more RAM and better integrated graphics.

http://toastytech.com/guis/win8.html

Last edited by Gilad_Pellaeon; August 11th, 2013 at 06:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The OP seems to be a bit of a drive by shooter
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast