Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suspend/hibernate not working with open source AMD drivers

Beans

Re: Suspend/hibernate not working with open source AMD drivers

Thank you anyway, very much

How do I reinstall the open source drivers? I doubt that will help though, since I've tried countless distros with the same error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You are using the open source (radeon) drivers now. To install the proprietary (fglrx) drivers, the most common way is via: Software Centre -> Edit -> Sources -> Additional Drivers. They should be listed there and just need to be enabled.

Beans

I have the same issue on my HP laptop. Someone please help.

Beans

This issue has nothing to do with Ubuntu. Here is the problem. In older kernels, all power saving and suspending was done by userspace, not the kernel itself. With modern kernels, this is all done with kernel tools. There is a known bug, which you can look up on X.org, that AMD A-x processors (I have an AMD A6) resume from suspend but the monitor cannot be initialized. I run Arch Linux now, but I've had the exact same problem on multiple distros (Ubuntu and related distros, Fedora, Mint ... it goes on).

What I did under Arch is I disabled the lid switch from putting the laptop into suspend, and I installed a power saving package that puts the computer in low power when the lid is closed or disconnected from the AC power. That way, if I'm just running out for a bit, mostly I'll be fine (I get about 3 hours out of my battery running Linux). I also encrypt my whole hard drive, so I usually just power down the computer when I walk away at the coffee shop or where ever else I am. I get fast boot times on Arch, about 20 seconds, and when I ran Ubuntu I also had pretty fast boot times, about 45-60 seconds. So basically what I'm saying is there won't be a solution to this problem until X.org reverse engineers the A-series chips and figures out how to get the screen to turn back on. They have corrected this problem for previous releases. I haven't heard about the new E-x series of chips, but for Linux if you want open source drivers with full suspend capabilities, go older AMD chipsets or use an Intel box.

Wish I had better news.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123