Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu vs LinuxMint

Beans

Ubuntu vs LinuxMint

Now i am curious on which is the better linux based OS, between linux Mint, and Ubuntu. And some someone show me list of sowftware that ubunto has that linux might not have? And lastly would it be a good idea to dual boot my laptop with both linux mint and Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu vs LinuxMint

Personal opinion follows:
    I ran Ubuntu for a long time, switched to Mint, and then switched back to Ubuntu. I find the Ubuntu interface easier to use.

As for software, it's a gut feeling that Mint lags behind Ubuntu for program updates (Firefox, Office, etc). I also have the impression that there is more software available in the Ubuntu repositories than in Mint's. But as I no longer have an active Mint install, I can't give you specifics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi and welcome. When choosing a Linux system for your computer, 95% is probably based on your likes and dislikes and what you want your computer to do. It would be hard for someone to tell you which would be best for you. Both Ubuntu and Mint are excellect Operating Systems. I have used both. As to programs, each as an excellent list of available programs which more than likely overlap.
    It is an excellent idea to dual boot. That way you can see which one you like best. You can also make a bootable CD/flash drive for each and take each one for a test drive (try them out before installing to make sure that they will work on your computer.)
    You will get many opinions here. Take them with a grain of salt and pick the one that you like (or the ones that you like.)
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans

Linux Mint is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu. As I think, all software for Ubuntu should also work on Linux Mint. You can install the Linux Mint Desktop Environments (Mate or Cinnamon) on Ubuntu, so it's not necessary to dual-boot them in my opinion
    Last edited by meilin; August 6th, 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by meilin View Post
    Linux Mint is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu. As I think, all software for Ubuntu should also work on Linux Mint. You can install the Linux Mint Desktop Environments (Mate or Cinnamon) on Ubuntu, so it's not necessary to dual-boot them in my opinion
    Yep. I ran both Mint and Ubuntu for some years. Finally quit using Mint. Most things underneath are the same, but not everything. It does come down to what the user prefers, in the end.

Beans

I switched back to Ubuntu after trying a lot of distributions including Mint. You can ready my post here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2165557

Beans

I choose Ubuntu because I find the unity is easier to use for me.

Beans

what is "best" is a relative question. What is best for me may not be best for you or another. That is the beauty and IMO major drawing point of Linux systems you have the choice on how you setup your computer.
    i like Mint 13 it has all i want. I tried mint 15 but there is a glitch that wont give me the resolution i need for my tv, 13 works fine.

a short time ago i did a test i installed several different OSs then installed the mate desktop on them . i installed the programs that i wanted on all , each had the same programs , they all functioned identically so i came to the conclusion that the os didnt matter once customized to my liking. The only thing that made a difference was hardware, on the older stuff i use a non pae os.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, but ... is Linux Mint supported by the Ubuntu Forum Community?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm currently using Mint XFCE, I like a number of the Mint tools. Also, their version of XFCE supports Win7 style "Aerosnap" windows (as does Ubuntu Unity, yes, but not Unity 2D).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast