Thread: Os

Beans

Os

What's the OS used in Die hard 4.0 by the terrorists.
    Is it linux or ubuntu or anything else
    4425713046bf3872873b0.jpg93615831346bf38d245d23.jpg95294725546bedcd75fe69.jpg172063582246bf3868899e0.jpg181055052446bedccfadfda.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Os

Moved to the Cafe, as this isn't a support question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's a film prop, not a real OS.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Doesn't mean that they couldn't have used a real OS under there with a few appearance tweaks. The second screenie is very different from the others and looks much more like a real OS (you could easily make a Linux look like that and be functional,) but even the others could be achieved in a real OS. The weird look of the halos around the windows particularly makes me think it's a real WM with tweaked drop shadow settings, although I wouldn't know off-hand just which wm.

The window contents, obviously, aren't really applications (or rather, they're almost certainly not applications that do what they appear to be doing.) It'd be amusing to find that the thing on the right was a conky (although I doubt it is, simply on the basis that it matches the other "windows" very well, and making them match would have taken more effort than matching the style in screenie #2, I'd think, though I obviously don't know how the shots were set up.)

Any higher-res images or video? I'm curious to see how it transitions between the two looks and whether any legible text is meaningful.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Is it Ubuntu or Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's likely a combination of a Unix-like OS and special effects. On the fourth screenshot I can barely make out "System: Free-(illegible) BSD" and "Kernel: 7.3-Release" so it may be based on FreeBSD 7.3. There are some real-looking transparent terminals running in chromeless windows, which may be from a WM like E17. On that screen I'm guessing most of the fancy images and animations, and of course the giant-size text, were added after the fact. The second screen shows a some sort of terminal-based program in a window and I'm guessing something simple like OpenBox for the window manager and Thunar or a similar file manager that supports desktop icons. That screen seems to be the most realistic out of the four and is completely different from the other three.

As mentioned, it would not be impossible to set up a real Linux system to look vaguely like some of those systems. Stuff like translucent windows have been reality for over a decade. Much of them are simply special effects that were done to make it look cool (and legible) to movie viewers. To answer the original question, none of those screens are likely to be Ubuntu and it's impossible to know if any are even Linux since pretty much any Unix-like or UNIX system that can run an X window system will look the same.
    HP ProBook 4540s: Intel Core i5-3230M, 8GB RAM, 480GB SSD Kubuntu 14.04
    Custom Built PC: Intel Core i7-2600K, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, Radeon 6870 Windows 8.1 Pro