Thread: Manage pictures on usb drive with digikam?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Manage pictures on usb drive with digikam?

Hi, I have a big collection of pictures (over 50gb), and it's now difficult to manage it on my hard disk. I also need to share this with my girlfriend, so that we can both manage them. This is why I'd like to put all on an external drive (and have a sync online), and manage them from there.
    I started to use Digikam, but I donęt know how to have the same front-end from our two different computers, and especially not to lose all tags and informations when we format our PCs.
    Any good advice to do what I need to do is welcomed.
    Thanks
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)

Beans

Re: Manage pictures on usb drive with digikam?

Hi LK_gandalf, I am trying to achieve exactly the same. Did you have any insight in the meanwhile? Anybody out there can give any useful suggestion?
    Luca

Beans

Ok, I got it.
    You can add external collections (i.e. collections contained on removable devices) by selecting
    Settings -> Configure DigiKam -> Collections
    then it is quite intuitive. I just did it.
    I guess that, in order to share the database, you must also move the database to the removable disk. So from the same dialog select Database and locate it on the removable file (I didn't need this, so you may need to test it).
    Hope this may help.
    Cheers,
    Luca

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i would suggest using picasa. picasa even has web albums for hosting your pictures online to share with whoever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi, Picasa is not available for Linux since a couple of years now.

3WrK I will try your solution. Have you tried it?
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)