Thread: Pulseaudio errors after relocating home to NFS

Beans

Pulseaudio errors after relocating home to NFS

I've relocated my home to a diff machine using NFS on my small home network (this issue involves two machines both running UbuntuStudio 12.04 LTS). Everything seems fine except Pulseaudio. I'm getting these errors:

[edit 1] This is the output from the volume control:

"Connection to PulseAudio failed. Automatic retry in 5s

In this case this is likely because PULSE_SERVER in the Environment/X11 Root Window Properties or default-server in client.conf is misconfigured.
    This situation can also arrise [sic] when PulseAudio crased and left stale details in the X11 Root Window.
    If this is the case, then PulseAudio shoudl autospawn again, or if this is not configured you should run start-pulseaudio-x11 manually."

When I run "start-pulseaudio-x11" this is the output: [end edit 1]

E: [autospawn] core-util.c: Home directory /home/shawn not ours.
    W: [autospawn] lock-autospawn.c: Cannot access autospawn lock.
    E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to acquire autospawn lock

I believe it may be related to permissions/users, etc but I'm at a loss. Anyone, pls?
    Last edited by HomeOnThePlains; August 4th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Beans

Re: Pulseaudio errors after relocating home to NFS

Code:
    ls -la /home

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Code:
    ls -la /home
    drwxr-xr-x 8 nobody nogroup 4096 Aug 3 06:53 .
    drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Aug 1 12:19 ..
    drwx------ 2 nobody nogroup 16384 Aug 2 16:38 lost+found
    drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nogroup 4096 Aug 3 06:53 Movies
    drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nogroup 626688 Aug 3 11:22 Music
    drwxr-xr-x 11 nobody nogroup 16384 Aug 3 11:26 Music2
    drwxr-xr-x 44 nobody nogroup 4096 Aug 3 12:12 pedro
    drwxr-xr-x 58 nobody nogroup 4096 Aug 4 17:53 shawn
    Last edited by HomeOnThePlains; August 5th, 2013 at 01:18 AM.

Beans

Code:
        drwxr-xr-x 58 nobody nogroup 4096 Aug 4 17:53 shawn
    ^You probably need to fix that..
    Normally, the following command would do it, but I'm not familiar with NFS permissions.
    Code:
    chown -R shawn:shawn /home/shawn

Beans

That happens automatically with NFS. On the server I'm the owner:group but on the client mounts NFS changes them to nobody:nogroup. That's why it seems to be a permissions/users issue for pulse. I tried adding the users pulse and pulse-access users to the nogroup group but that didn't work.

Everything else seems fine. All applications seem fine. Firefox and Thunderbird run with no issues. Terminal is fine. I can boot and use Windows 7 and Debian 7 XFCE in VirtualBox from the NFS server just fine (except they both complain about no sound at startup). Thanks for the input though.

Beans

I think that only happens if you are using the all_squash export option on the server to work around inconsistent uids / gids between the client and server, doesn't it? If you have control of both systems, then you can change your uids / gids either on either the client or server so that they are the same, and then set the export to no_all_squash (actually that's the default, I think - so no need to set it explicitly, just remove the all_squash otion)

From man exports:
    Code:
           all_squash
                  Map  all  uids  and  gids to the anonymous user. Useful for NFS-
                  exported public FTP directories, news  spool  directories,  etc.
                  The  opposite option is no_all_squash, which is the default set‐
                  ting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    I think that only happens if you are using the all_squash export option on the server to work around inconsistent uids / gids between the client and server, doesn't it? If you have control of both systems, then you can change your uids / gids either on either the client or server so that they are the same, and then set the export to no_all_squash (actually that's the default, I think - so no need to set it explicitly, just remove the all_squash otion)

From man exports:
    Code:
           all_squash
                  Map  all  uids  and  gids to the anonymous user. Useful for NFS-
                  exported public FTP directories, news  spool  directories,  etc.
                  The  opposite option is no_all_squash, which is the default set‐
                  ting.
    My only export options are (rw,sync) so therefore I'd be defaulting to no_all_squash, right? I'll try it with the no_all_squash explicitly and see what happens.

Edit: Tried explicit no_all_squash and NFS still changes all exports (on clients) to nobody:nogroup. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edit2: I'm leaning more towards users/perms for sure now because I've discovered since my original post that synaptic and gparted will not boot after authentication. I'll keep digging and update if I figure this out.
    Last edited by HomeOnThePlains; August 5th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.

Beans

Do you have identical user and group IDs in /etc/passwd and /etc/group on both machines? Remember that usernames like "shawn" are just a convenience. Permissions depend on the UID and GID values. If "shawn" has ID 1000 on one machine and 1001 on another, you'll have permission problems. There are solutions for this like idmapd, but just maintaining identical /etc/passwd and /etc/group files works best on small networks.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 5th, 2013 at 02:31 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Do you have identical user and group IDs in /etc/passwd and /etc/group on both machines? Remember that usernames like "shawn" are just a convenience. Permissions depend on the UID and GID values. If "shawn" has ID 1000 on one machine and 1001 on another, you'll have permission problems. There are solutions for this like idmapd, but just maintaining identical /etc/passwd and /etc/group files works best on small networks.
    Thnx for the response. The personal U and GIDs matched, yes, and most other users as well (including pulse). Because I don't have the time to fart around too much with this, rather than share my personal user homes I'm going to make homes for the Movies and Music dirs and share them. This *should* be simpler and will satisfy my needs for now. I appreciate the responses.