Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I lost the sound on ubuntu after attempting a change with the "Sound" ap

Beans

I lost the sound on ubuntu after attempting a change with the "Sound" ap

I am running ubuntu 12.04.
    I wanted to raise the volume for a youtube video that was hard to hear even with sound set to max and speakers turned up to max.
    I went to dash home and typed in "Sound". There was a sound application and I opened it.
    Under the Output tab, digital output, I moved the output bar at the bottom to the right of 100%.
    I tried the youtube video again and there was no sound at all. I moved the output bar at the bottom back to 100%. Still no sound.
    I tried other videos. I tried rebooting. There is now no sound on anything on youtube or netflix. There is sound when I boot up, it makes the normal ubuntu boot sound when it opens the screen for me to enter a password, but that is the only sound I can get.

How can I fix this a get the sound back?
    Last edited by Tom_Carr; August 3rd, 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I lost the sound on ubuntu after attempting a change with the "Sound" ap

Make sure the correct output is selected in "Sound Preferences" (from your volume icon menu or in the system settings).
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vladlenin5000 View Post
    Make sure the correct output is selected in "Sound Preferences" (from your volume icon menu or in the system settings).
    I did not change it. It is set to "Digital Output (S/PDIF) Built in audio"

That was in the system settings for sound. How do I get to the volumn icon menu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Carr View Post
    I did not change it. It is set to "Digital Output (S/PDIF) Built in audio"

That was in the system settings for sound. How do I get to the volumn icon menu?
    *Probably* that's the problem... You may need to select an analog output. How do you get to the volume icon menu? Well, maybe clicking on that icon that you must have in the top bar near the clock (if you're using the standard Ubuntu that is) and the same is available in the system settings of course.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

How do you get to the volume icon menu? Well, maybe clicking on that icon that you must have in the top bar near the clock (if you're using the standard Ubuntu that is) and the same is available in the system settings of course.
    Thanks. I see it. It takes me to the same sound settings I get to from the system settings menu or the Dash.

You may need to select an analog output.
    There is no analog output in the list, only "Digital Output" and "Headphones".
    If you think I should try adding an analog output I will. How do I do that if it is not already in the list?
    And remember that it was working just fine before I opened it the first time and changed output volume at the bottom, which I have now changed back.

Beans

I had a similar problem some years ago. Try running the command alsamixer, it could be one of your mixes is muted.

Beans

I did alsamixer. I wasn't sure what I was looking at so did a screenshot. I tried to paste it here but that didn't work. How do I paste a screenshot into a message here? Do I need to edit it and make it smaller? If so, what tool do I use to do that?
    Last edited by Tom_Carr; August 4th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Beans

I tried to paste in the image and got the garbage above. How do I delete it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Carr View Post
    I tried to paste in the image and got the garbage above. How do I delete it?
    You triggered a firefox bug by dragging and dropping the image into the message editor and ended up with base64 code. That's not the way to add images. Please use the "Manage Attachments" button under the advanced editor to upload your image and the forum software will create a clickable thumbnail.

Alternatively, you can upload your image to an image hosting service and paste the URL between [IMG] and [/IMG] BBCode tags. But not too big if you do the latter please. Bear in mind those on slow internet connections.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

coffeecat, thanks for your help.

Now back to my original sound problem. Below is a screenshot of what I get when I run alsamixer. Does this give any information about why I lost sound?

Screenshot from 2013-08-05 15:06:16.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast