11 37.93%
  • Maybe

5 17.24%
  • Uncertain

1 3.45%
  • PONIES!

2 6.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ubuntu Edge gamble: will it be a dud or not?

Beans

The Ubuntu Edge gamble: will it be a dud or not?

While i think the direction that Ubuntu is going is wrong as a desktop user the mobile market is still a high possibility of where Ubuntu might finally shine and grow.
    I mean if the ubuntu edge device is a success it might mean that the age of mobile computing is viable.
    What canonical is doing is interesting creating a device to bridge the gap between traditional computers, tablets and smart phones.
    This device is in the end more then just a phone, its the gateway to a brand new world that can shale all of Ubuntus competitors to the ground.
    But if its a dud well I think Ubuntu should just go back to desktops asap and leave this mobile business behind them.
    In fact there is a part of me that wants that to happen admittedly, as the desktop market is still here and wont go away anytime soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: The Ubuntu Edge gamble: will it be a dud or not?

I vote *no*. Not though, that I think that it will reach its 32 million dollar indiegogo crowd-funding goal. I don't think it will reach that. I vote *no*, because Ubuntu for the mobile market, will have amassed a huge amount of public and industry awareness of its possibilities. It has progressed to that end, if it has this phone come to fruition or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I voted "No", not because I think it will succeed, but because I misread your question as "Will Ubuntu Edge succeed?", and I'm sure there are others who has it confused.

Considering the current rate of donations, it's 12 days down and they are still at the 8mil mark, which means that the final tally will be less than 24mil, far from their 32mil mark.

Like many have said, this is probably just a marketing stunt for Ubuntu Phone. Success or fail, this crowd funding project has brought great attention to the OS, and it's not a bad thing.
    Last edited by zombifier25; August 4th, 2013 at 08:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It better not be a dud. If this all works, it might give the public a chance to see Ubuntu and how much better it is. Most normal people around don't even know what Linux is, much less what Ubuntu is, and if this succeeds that will change a little bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm hoping it doesn't fail, however what compelling reason would I use this phone over the other phone's on the market??? It's not exactly as if I feel Ubuntu is making the best decisions in terms of their OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't know what it will do to shake up the market.

Think about it from a common-man's perspective who doesn't even know what 0b1111 is or even what 1000BASET means.

It might be probable to suggest it will shake up the market, but the same sentiment was in store for WP8 phones, and look how much the market cares about that right now. iOS and Android are well entrenched and unless the phone does something new, radical, or way better, I don't have such optimistic thoughts.

However, I would be inclined to demo one, the default specifications for the unit are nothing to shake a stick at. But I'm not a fan of the outside squared-off edges, either. With 17 days left (as of right now) and only 1/4 of the way through, I don't think it will make it, which is a bit sad, because I don't doubt that it could be a worthy contender in the smartphone race.

Beans

I voted "yes," because I misread the question. I am a pledger from the very beginning, and very much want its success.

Beans

sadly looks dead now on indiegogo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I very much hope this will be a success.
    The Ubuntu Edge will allow the public to get to know Ubuntu through a device specially made for the OS, meaning it's easier for the user to get into.

Beans

Marques Brownlee has made an eight minute YouTube video that explains Ubuntu Edge very well in a way that people can understand. Sharing that video might give the campaign more mainstream awareness to help it succeed. That plus today's price drop to $695.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast