Thread: Nectar points toolbar

Beans

Nectar points toolbar

Is it possible to install a Nectar points tool bar in either Firefox or Chrome? It is one of the few things that I miss from Windows.

thanks,

dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Nectar points toolbar

I always presumed these toolbars were simply another extension for FF (don't use chrome or chromium, so no real idea about those two) so could be installed on any OS, like most other extensions. However, such toolbars are precisely the type of annoying add-on that I normally avoid like the plague. I have been offered it many times by nectar, but always bin the invitation straight away.

Am I being too hasty; what does the toolbar really do other than send masses of adverts, which I get more than enough of already?
    Last edited by ajgreeny; August 3rd, 2013 at 11:58 AM.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Am I being too hasty; what does the toolbar really do other than send masses of adverts, which I get more than enough of already?
    Your web searches are analysed and Nectar points awarded if 'participating' sites appear in your search results.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; August 3rd, 2013 at 12:06 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Your web searches are analysed and Nectar points awarded if 'participating' sites appear in your search results.
    That's right. You can build up a useful number of Nectar points.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Go here: http://www.nectar.com/collect/nectar-search.points.

The Nectar toolbar certainly installs directly into Firefox 22 on Kubuntu 13.04 despite no mention of supporting Linux anywhere on the site.

Now let's see if I can grab 100 easy points.

Beans

That's great - problem sorted, thanks. Keep collecting!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had to make a clean reinstall of my Ubuntu system when upgraded from Raring to Saucy. I tried to reinstall Nectar Toolbar on Saucy but it is impossible.
    I contacted Nectar helpdesk and their answer was on the lines of their aim for toolbar to be compatible with the maximum number of platforms and bla, bla, bla... and if that was not possible, wait until the solution was published on their website. Almost 6 months down the line we are still waiting.
    And we'll probably wait a little longer since Linux in general does not have the appeal of the big commercial companies such as Micro$$oft for other commercial companies such as Nectar.
    C'est la vie.