Thread: Chromecast from Ubuntu on Nexus 7

Beans

Chromecast from Ubuntu on Nexus 7

Is Chrome or Chromium available for Ubuntu on the Nexus7? If so does the Chromecast plugin work on it? Chromecast works just fine from Chrome running on regular x86 Linux but it doesn't run from Chrome on Android. I've been thinking about upgrading to the new Nexus7 and putting Ubuntu on the old one. If Chromium on N7 Ubuntu can support Chromecast then the tablet could be used from presentations assuming that Chrome on N7 Ubuntu could handle PDF or Google Docs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Chromecast from Ubuntu on Nexus 7

I just got a Chromecast today, and have been playing with it by way of my Ubuntu desktop PC, Windows 7 laptop and Android smartphone. Along the way I found out that tab casting from within the Android Chrome app is NOT supported. This means there would be no plug-in or extension to connect with the Chrome app.

Though they say Ubuntu Chromium is not supported, it does work (sounds like you already know that).

To get mine working, I had to modify my IPTABLES, set up a port forwarding on my Router, and then restart my session of Ubuntu.

What's odd is that I CANNOT full screen cast Hulu through my browser tab from within Chromium. However, I can with the Windows laptop, running Chrome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Rereading your original post, I see you're talking about rooting the Nexus 7 tablet and then installing Ubuntu on it. IF you can get Chromium installed under a version of Ubuntu, then perhaps it will work. But, that would be under Ubuntu, not Android.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Chrome, Chromecast, Chromium: the words are used so much sometimes it's difficult to keep it all straight in my mind. Have you two tried (if allowed/able) using google-chrome-stable on Ubuntu as your web browser instead of Chromium? I've opted to installing plain vanilla Google Chrome in lieu of Ubuntus' Chromium. Sometimes it makes a difference.??????????????

Just installed the "Google Cast" app for the device on this machine: Ubuntu Saucy Salamander 13.10-64 Desktop OS on AMD Desktop machine. It installed and works to the point of reporting "No Cast devices found". That makes sense, I just ordered a Chromecast hdmi streamer device a few minutes ago.

Good Luck,
    Last edited by Hakunka-Matata; December 7th, 2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: trying to make the post understandable
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning