Thread: Fortran CODE Version?

Beans

Fortran CODE Version?

Hi All,
    I have some FORTRAN code that compiles, but gives this error in the linker, when I try to build an executable:
    Code:
    $ gfortran -Wall -o "ljewald" "ljewald.f"
    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.7/../../../i386-linux-gnu/crt1.o: In function `_start':
    (.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    This code has some hidden characters, and makes me think it was written in MS Word or something, That Asside,
    I m not sure what version of Fortran it is in, and I am not sure how to find out.
    heres a link to the Original Code:

nanocluster.umeche.maine.edu/ljewald.f

So then, I put the code into gedit, copied it into a new document, and this removed much of the hidden characters. This then led to errors in formating, and warnings about things like spacing.

Then I got to thinking, is gfortran even compiling this correctly?? I think the standard gfortran uses is GNU, a superset of F95.
    I see errors in things like ASSET 777,ident which doesnt strike me as a syntax of fortran which i am familiar with.

Can some one look at this code, and tell me what version of fortran is being used?
    I am confussed by the linking errors, the hidden characters, and some other things too, so i just want to identify what version of fortran this is before I try to proceed.

Beans

Re: Fortran CODE Version?

[DISCLAIMER: I don't know fortran but... ] aside from the line CR terminations (which you will need to change to LF) it appears to have at least one DEC/VAX extension - the ACCEPT statements - which you will need to convert to appropriate READ statements, I think

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3....O%20Statements

I got it to compile (with warnings) after that - but obviously I don't know if it is correct since I don't know what it is or how to run it / what input it is expecting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Fortran CODE Version?

I'd switch on more warnings, these will let you know if the compiler spots anything suspicious.
    Code:
    -Wextra
    You could also try specifying the fortran version to use, eg
    Code:
    -std=legacy
    see http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gfortr...ialect-Options

in theory fortran standards are backwards compatable, so valid fortran77 is valid fortran95 etc (though with deprication warnings).

there are also some options at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gfortr...n-Options.html to help with code that expects specific behaviour of the compiler.