Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ... But my cynicism is just too overpowering...

Beans

... But my cynicism is just too overpowering...

Did it have to be Ubuntu 1 for the login? I mean, wasn't it so very convenient that in the course of restoring the forums, they got us to use Ubuntu 1 login and, perhaps, got us one step closer to becoming Ubuntu 1 customers, if we were not before?

This overpowering cynicism probably came from me questioning everything that's happened in computing over the years, starting with Microsoft's overt attempts to destroy everything around them in order to force us to be their locked in customers. The incredible difficulty that has been part of installing Linux, or anything else not a Microsoft product, on new hardware with UEFI (a Microsoft product, I'm led to believe). The difficulty to dual boot Linux, or any other OS, with Windows, with WinXP and before, and made nearly impossible starting with Win7 (or Vista? I've never used Vista, so I don't know).

But this cynicism has gone on to cause me to question the motives of other companies, Google - a giant Linux advocate. Intel, are they in cahoots with Microsoft? That Rapid Whatsit is a pain to work with Linux installs too. It goes on and on.

It doesn't help that I've recently started playing EVE Online, and now I'm finding myself becoming even more cynical - to the point that when I found that the forums were back up, my first thought was not, "Yay! The forums are back!" It was, "Why Ubuntu 1 for a login? Why not just improve the security of the original login process, improve security where they were breached, and put it all back. I wonder if the reason it took so long was that they were getting everything set up for Ubuntu 1? How convenient the "cyber attack" was for them...."

I had to shake my head to interrupt the conspiracies that were forming in my head, and remind myself that, "Hey! Now I can look up that thread on how to dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu!"

Sigh.... It didn't used to be this way....

Am I the only one who thought this way? Or have I just been dealing with Microsoft's antics for too long and playing EVE Online too much?

Beans

Re: ... But my cynicism is just too overpowering...

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyOats View Post
    Am I the only one who thought this way?
    Yes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's kinda hard to use Ubuntu without picking up an Ubuntu One account. It's much more difficult than, say, not having a Launchpad account, which previously had a shared login option with the forums. I'd assume that the thinking is that if users already have an Ubuntu One account, it's going to be simpler to transfer it (and if not, yeah, it gets people that far in the door, but it's not as if you're putting up credit card information to get access to the forums.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

I doubt the attack was planned. Even for Canonical it would be a bit too far. But it was convenient for them and the switch to U1 login was obviously nothing but a marketing trick.

Beans

Your not the only one. The thought crossed my mind also. The warning here during the attack suggested having seperate passwords for your online activities. Which I agree with. Now all my online Ubuntu activities only have one password. Due directly to this change. Its nothing I'm going to lose sleep over mind you. But just felt you should know your not the only one who asked the question. The next question though is did they fake the whole thing to get us to use ubuntu one?

(For the Record this post is a bit of sarcastic homour or is it???)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    I doubt the attack was planned. Even for Canonical it would be a bit too far. But it was convenient for them and the switch to U1 login was obviously nothing but a marketing trick.
    That axe should be ground down to the handle by now...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The openid plugin has been mooted for yonks and has been in the pipeline for yonks too.

http://browse.feedreader.com/c/kyleabaker_com/181654166

It was even asked for as far back as 2007 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=openid

Also see this from last year.

http://www.jorgecastro.org/2012/07/3...sign-on-again/
    Last edited by philinux; August 1st, 2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: link added

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    If it is a marketing ploy it is a poor one. I've not received any unwanted or unsolicited marketing materials, even though I have had an account for quite a while.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have had an Ubuntu One account for a while but it is seldom used. Like any other "cloud" storage the main problem is the upload speed. I suppose that if I generated lots of documents it would be handy but I cannot be bothered to watch an upload progress bar crawl across the screen to store some jpgs or music.
    My router tells me that my download speed is 8128 kbps but the upload is only 448 kbps.
    Maybe in the future the speed will increase and I'll start to use it.

Beans

I guess I'm just jumping at shadows, then. Perhaps from Canonical's point of view, they're making lemonade from lemons... (making the best of a bad situation). You're right, my in-boxes aren't getting flooded with Ubuntu products and services offers.

For the record, I really am happy and grateful they got the forums back up. It's just that that question popped up into my mind and I had to voice it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast