Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ... But my cynicism is just too overpowering...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ... But my cynicism is just too overpowering...

Jumping at shadows is one of my all time favourite blues track

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Jumping at shadows is one of my all time favourite blues track
    Don't you just love Gary Moore's version?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The thought crossed my mind as well. I really don't trust the cloud,so i have no plans to use U1 except as a log in.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    It's kinda hard to use Ubuntu without picking up an Ubuntu One account. It's much more difficult than, say, not having a Launchpad account, which previously had a shared login option with the forums. I'd assume that the thinking is that if users already have an Ubuntu One account, it's going to be simpler to transfer it (and if not, yeah, it gets people that far in the door, but it's not as if you're putting up credit card information to get access to the forums.)
    I have read numerous posts of your's and have never disagreed. This time I don't follow. But, due to history, I'll go with ^^ what CB said, for most people. I have a launchpad account for questions and the odd bug report, but only briefly had, but never used an Ubuntu One account. Now, I must keep one, even if I don't use the service, which in itself, is not a bother to me.
    Last edited by mikodo; August 2nd, 2013 at 03:53 AM.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    I have had an Ubuntu One account for a while but it is seldom used. Like any other "cloud" storage the main problem is the upload speed. I suppose that if I generated lots of documents it would be handy but I cannot be bothered to watch an upload progress bar crawl across the screen to store some jpgs or music.
    My router tells me that my download speed is 8128 kbps but the upload is only 448 kbps.
    Maybe in the future the speed will increase and I'll start to use it.
    The latter part of this post would be useful as a separate thread elsewhere. But, at least for ADSL connections, upload is much slower than download (if I understand correctly).

Apropos nothing at all, I hope "The Cafe" is moved to Discourse ASAP. There, posts also get feedback in the form of little hearts. Awesome.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans

I don't use Ubuntu One so I just made a new account. I don't think having a Ubu 1 account for the UF would make me start using it, I have no need for it, and if I eventually do want to use it I would definitely use a different account and a different email address (this one is just for online forums and such, nothing important) Is it a way to advertise Ubu one for people don't know about it before? It is possible, but it is not something sinister as far as I can see.

Only complaint is that it is more cumbersome to login now. I mean, is it necessary to go to a page asking me am I sure that I want to log in instead of just logging me in?
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 2nd, 2013 at 04:12 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    It's kinda hard to use Ubuntu without picking up an Ubuntu One account. It's much more difficult than, say, not having a Launchpad account, which previously had a shared login option with the forums. I'd assume that the thinking is that if users already have an Ubuntu One account, it's going to be simpler to transfer it (and if not, yeah, it gets people that far in the door, but it's not as if you're putting up credit card information to get access to the forums.)
    Why not? I have a launchpad account for bug reports but I have no need for cloud storage or buying stuffs through Ubuntu so I never have a Ubuntu one account. I am sure I am not alone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyOats View Post
    they got us to use Ubuntu 1 login and, perhaps, got us one step closer to becoming Ubuntu 1 customers,
    For cryin' out loud! What is Ubuntu One, a black hole? Do you think you are going to fall in whether you want to or not? If you have no need for the service, as I don't, then just don't use the service. Was that so hard?

I'm always skeptical of those who expound loudly about how they don't like Ubuntu One, super-hero movies, Gentoo, chocolate, asparagus, left-liberal politics, German cars, etc. My suggestion is that if you don't like it, don't use it. Problem solved.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyOats View Post
    It's just that that question popped up into my mind and I had to voice it.
    Now it's in my mind.
    Last edited by critin; August 3rd, 2013 at 02:44 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Lay off the video games dude.
    I don't know many people who are more "conspiracy minded" than myself..
    and even I'm shaking my head at you. lol
    If someone who thinks we never stopped going back to the moon (me) is calling you bonkers.. you just may be bonkers, my friend. lol
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast