Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I had a few curiosities regarding Ubuntu and Debian

Beans

Re: I had a few curiosities regarding Ubuntu and Debian

Debian has 4 versions: stable, testing, unstable and experimental.

My opinion (which others may disagree) is that Debian is a great distro to build other distros on (like Ubuntu) and for maybe businesses and individuals who are very conservative about upgrading and don't venture out of a few core applications, but IMO it is not great for everyday desktop use.

Debian stable is certainly "stable" but this is only because it is very old and by the time software gets to stable they are already outdated and the kernel version may not even work with your hardware (Windows 8 laptops?) , testing is by no means latest and greatest as the name may suggest, it is only less old, I laugh when people in Debian forums advise newbies that testing is not as "solid" and needs to be handled with care. It sounds like saying you should always stay home because the street is such a dangerous place. You would like Debian stable if you have that kind of life philosophy or if you are a business that only uses a few core applications for routine work and never need new features. But it is not for me.

Unstable (sid) is very unstable and a lot of broken dependencies and so on (need to check "Debian weather" before update or you may break your system) and experimental is a complete mess. I triple boot Debian SId with Ubuntu 13.04 and Fedora 19, Sid is by far the most buggy and most complicated to setup by a huge margin (Fedora, on the other hand is truly bleeding edge. more up to date than Debian experimental yet has far fewer bugs than sid,--actually I haven't encountered any which is due to Fedora, there are some issues with third party stuffs like google earth but it is google's bug,-- it is as solid as Ubuntu 13.04 but much more up to date, but there is less software available so have to compile more)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 21st, 2013 at 07:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    ... testing is by no means latest and greatest as the name may suggest, it is only less old, I laugh when people in Debian forums advise newbies that testing is not as "solid" and needs to be handled with care. It sounds like saying you should always stay home because the street is such a dangerous place.

i am sure first users of Linux mint debian had a good laugh when their computers stopped working after certain updates. plenty of them didn't know who to fix it without help. so they added a checup of updates before they are let through to users
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i am sure first users of Linux mint debian had a good laugh when their computers stopped working after certain updates. plenty of them didn't know who to fix it without help. so they added a checup of updates before they are let through to users
    Well I suppose people who can set up Debian would be a bit more knowledgeable than the first users of Mint. Anyway, I tried LMDE for two weeks when it came out. I think the bugs were Mint related.I removed it because I didn't see the point. Software was older than Ubuntu's and definitely more ugly (Couldn't stand the Mint menu)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 21st, 2013 at 03:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I ran LMDE for awhile...there was a number of times that i had breakages and it got annoying after a while so i removed it...I ran 13.04 while it was development and had FAR LESS problems on that then i had with LMDE...of the two, i think Ubuntu development (which is now called the unofficial rolling release version of ubuntu...lol) is the better rolling distro of the two...

Beans

Well I never use Debian testing, except for two weeks on LMDE (went from stable to Sid with testing only as an upgrade route) but if LMDE bugs are from Debian testing rather than Mint then it means Debian testing is outdated AND unstable, the worst of all worlds. I would hope that whatever bugginess that people experience in LMDE are Mint bugs.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 21st, 2013 at 08:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My impression of Debian is that it's like an Ubuntu best-of album (although that does seem a little backward somehow).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For me, Debian Stable is perfect for "everyday desktop use." As long as I'm getting security updates and an updated web browser, I'm good. Older kernels have not been a problem here on any of my computers. But I multi-boot; I like having Stable as my "primary" distro, the one that I know I can count on, but I also like having a cutting-edge, rolling-release distro available -- Sabayon, for example.

I like to move on to the current "Testing" a few months after the Testing freeze, then stay put as Testing goes to Stable, and on until the next Testing freeze. So for most of the cycle, I'm using Stable. Towards the end, Stable gets too long-in-the-tooth for my tastes. Plus, I get kinda anxious to see what's coming next.

I was very interested in Linux Mint Debian at first, but I didn't like that it was based on Testing, and didn't think that the Update Packs system would be a good idea. So I stayed away. Considering the complaints I'm seeing over at the Mint forums, I guess it's good that I did.

I use only LTS versions of Ubuntu (and I did the same with Mint, when I ran that distro).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12