Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash player update in Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Flash player update in Ubuntu 12.04

OK, lost again!

Have Firefox with latest updates and have just installed Chromium to see if that would gt around the problem. Having problems with requirements for latest version of Flash Player.

Several questions:

1. Is the latest version of Adobe Flash Player workable in Ubuntu 12.04 with latest updates?

2. If so, is there an easy step-by-step reference on the installation that anybody could follow? (Hate those that assume you already know how to do everything and forget to mention critical steps to the process.)

3. Also installed Chromium, because several other posts said it gets around the FP problems and is up to date, but found I get nowhere (on Pogo) with anything that requires Java or Flash player. Suggestions?

Thanks for the help for one that tends to forget lots of tech stuff.

ffp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Flash player update in Ubuntu 12.04

Adobe no longer updates Flash on linux anymore. Version 11.2 was the last. If you MUST have the latest Flash Player, you have to install Google Chrome. Chrome comes with an up to date copy of Flash for Linux by means of Google's intervention. Google keeps flash alive in the form of Pepper Flash which is an only Chrome compatible plugin.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishingphil View Post
    OK, lost again!

Have Firefox with latest updates and have just installed Chromium to see if that would gt around the problem. Having problems with requirements for latest version of Flash Player.

Several questions:

1. Is the latest version of Adobe Flash Player workable in Ubuntu 12.04 with latest updates?

2. If so, is there an easy step-by-step reference on the installation that anybody could follow? (Hate those that assume you already know how to do everything and forget to mention critical steps to the process.)

3. Also installed Chromium, because several other posts said it gets around the FP problems and is up to date, but found I get nowhere (on Pogo) with anything that requires Java or Flash player. Suggestions?

Thanks for the help for one that tends to forget lots of tech stuff.

ffp
    That was my understanding but tried Chrome the other day and got nowhere. Also had problems getting into my business side Open Exchange email because of the big ad panel that runs on Chrome. Read several places where Chromium is the better version for Ubuntu but it seems to have the same problems on Java and Flash Player as Firefox. It does allow me to check my business email, provides my complete Yahoo homepage with the bookmark tags, but doesn't seem to offer a solution.

Maybe what I need to do is break down and use the Win$ Vista I have as a second drive and do the 'net flash and java stuff from there. Hate using that because of all of the inherent problems with Win$.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

ffp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think there is a misunderstanding here.
    Flash on Ubuntu is fully up to date.

Google-Chrome, however, runs a newer version of flash built into it.

The flash available for linux is older, but it is still fully maintained and supported by Adobe.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What hardware do you have, and in particular is it sse2 enabled?

Run command
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse2
    If you get no output your cpu is not sse2 enabled and you will have to run the older flash version 11.1.

Go to Flash 11.1.102-63 to get all the info about downloading and installing that version. This is a problem that has been mentioned many times on many forums, but most linux users are totally unaware of the problem, as was I when I had a sempron 2400+ cpu, one of those with this sse2 problem.

See http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/vi...132&highlight= for another forum thread about the same trouble, luckily with a solution.

Beans
    Distro

Here is what shows in Terminal: (NOTE: System info at bottom of post)

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse2
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm

Also note that the current version I have installed is the one from the software center. That is version flashplugin-installer 11.2.202.297ubuntu12.04.1

Add a little more fun to this one. Tried Chromium, from the software center, and found that I can receive business emails but cannot send while it is installed. Uninstalled it and everything works fine again. Guess Chrome/Chromium and I don't get along!
    Last edited by flyfishingphil; July 31st, 2013 at 11:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

OK, did some search and found the latest "stable" version of Google Chrome and installed that. Didn't see the chance to limit the "reporting" done to Google on what I do but everything seems to be working fine unlike the one I tried the other day. Call this one solved and will start a new one if there are numerous problems.

Thanks for the assists.

OK, further research shows that anything requiring the latest Java version is not operable in Chrome.

Did some research and found statements that the latest version of Java is not applicable to Chrome so anything requiring it sets up the notification of need to update. Testing showed I have the Java 7.25 but it is not operational regardless of settings. Chrome is NOT the "fix all" to get around the JAVA problems.
    Last edited by flyfishingphil; August 1st, 2013 at 12:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Chrome fixes the flash problem but not java...are you using the open source java? If so, that could be your problem...i have a java program that does not function with open source jdk version that you get in the software center, so i had to install the licensed version, which of course, works just fine...

If that is what you need...here is the easiest way to get it (and the way i get mine) works like a charm!
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html
    Last edited by craig10x; August 1st, 2013 at 01:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ran the java test and have version 7 update 25 and yes, it is enabled and all but not recognized as workable. Have been thru everything I can find to make sure it is active but they all have the same groundwork and all show it as the actual in use. Pretty much lost now unless there is someplace that has exact step-by-steps to follow from "turn computer on" to re-start and Java will be active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

But which version do you have...the java that is in the software center (that is the open source jdk version) or did you install the actual licensed version from oracle? (which you would get if you follow the instructions on the link i included in my last post) They are BOTH at version 7 update 25...but the open source version does not always work for everything...which is why i suggested you get the licensed version...

For example...the real time quotes in my stock brokerage website work great with the licensed version but DID NOT function properly with the open source version....and i use a program called Hamsphere which is a Java file and it DOES NOT work with the open source java but works PERFECT with the licensed version...

In theory, they are supposed to be the same....but i have found that is certainly not the case at all...

You have to paste in each command individually and hit enter and let the terminal do it's thing...and there is a point where you have to say "ok" to the Oracle license agreement...otherwise it will not get installed...
    And that deb package also adds a "ppa" to your software sources which will get you the latest versions as they become available, through your ubuntu updater...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 1st, 2013 at 06:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast