Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My 160GB HDD shows up as 8GB after using GParted??

Beans

Re: My 160GB HDD shows up as 8GB after using GParted??

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post

You can also check if the drive has S.M.A.R.T. which monitors the physical status (bad sectors). The drive is old and might not have it, but it is worth installing and checking. The drive in my T42 has S.M.A.R.T.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install smartmontools
    Code:
    sudo smartctl -H /dev/sda
    See more advanced options in the manual

Code:
    man smartctl
    Unfortunately, I was unable to install smartools. This is what I got:

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install smartmontools
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      bsd-mailx postfix
    Suggested packages:
      procmail postfix-mysql postfix-pgsql postfix-ldap postfix-pcre sasl2-bin
      dovecot-common resolvconf postfix-cdb gsmartcontrol smart-notifier
    Recommended packages:
      mailx mailutils
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      bsd-mailx postfix smartmontools
    0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 1,634 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 4,698 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main postfix i386 2.8.2-1ubuntu1
      404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]
    Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main bsd-mailx i386 8.1.2-0.20100314cvs-1 [77.7 kB]
    Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main smartmontools i386 5.39.1+svn3124-2
      404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]
    Fetched 77.7 kB in 0s (110 kB/s)
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/p/postfix/postfix_2.8.2-1ubuntu1_i386.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/smartmontools/smartmontools_5.39.1+svn3124-2_i386.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
    But:

After I switched hard drives (same model, same specs) with another T42 (as described in my last post) in order to test this machine's inner wirings, the faulty drive is now seen as 160GB drive and accessible! I have no idea what happened.

What did I do?

I took the hard drive in its bay from this T42 (T42-1) to another T42 (T42-2). I then put the faulty drive into T42-2 and the ok drive into T42-1. I powered up both T42. T42-1 running a live Ubuntu 11.04, checking I can properly access the non-faulty drive, T42-2 running nothing, just turned on, turn to hard drive to boot, end with blinking cursor on black screen. Shut down.

Then I put the hard drives back into the respective T42 machines. Power up T42-2 to check everything works fine. Boots into XP. Check!
    Power up T42-1 to test S.M.A.R.T. Installing smarttools does not work. I start fiddling with system settings, happen upon Disk Utility, give it a spin (just for the heck of it) - and there it is, my (ex-??) faulty 160 GB drive, showing up as its true self.

I am now installing Ubuntu 11.04 to test things out.

I am attaching three screenshots.

What do you think? What happened? How does this hard drive look? Just about dead?

Screenshots
    Screenshot-160 GB Hard Disk (ATA SAMSUNG HM160HC) [-dev-sda] — Disk Utility.pngScreenshot-160 GB Hard Disk (ATA SAMSUNG HM160HC) [-dev-sda] — Disk Utility-1.pngScreenshot-160 GB Hard Disk (ATA SAMSUNG HM160HC) – SMART Data.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think it was mentioned earlier regarding the cables. Maybe one got loose or misaligned. By unplugging and re-plugging the drive, it worked. That should reflect the cables in some way.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I think it was mentioned earlier regarding the cables. Maybe one got loose or misaligned. By unplugging and re-plugging the drive, it worked. That should reflect the cables in some way.
    +1

It is hard to believe it was a software error that came and went away just like that. It is more likely that there is a bad connection somewhere (at one of the pins or somewhere inside the disk casing, the electronic part of it). I would not rely too much on that drive, so if you intend to have important stuff in it, back it up frequently!

Beans

First of all - THANK YOU VERY MUCH to each and everyone of you helping me out. It is great to know there is a place to turn should difficulties arise. I am very thankful for the time and energy all of you you invested, especially sudosus and matt_symes.

Now to what happened to my hard drive. I hear you both - you are saying that is is pretty obvious that it was a hardware, connection problem. Correct?

That just does not want to make any sense to me. It happened right as I was using GParted and the laptop was not touched at all during that time, let alone the hard drive bay, so how would a physical connection problem have occurred? I find it very hard to imagine.

And yet, I would love to understand what happened there. The hard drive suddenly "thinking" it is only 8GB, all those weird errors...

Any alternative, software/firmware ideas? I know too little about how hard drives work at that level to comfortably spectulate.

By the way - Ubuntu 12.04 is now running fine on the machine using said hard drive. I can finally test drive Unity and the HUD myself, and I am very happy about that. Will keep in mind to backup regularly should the drive decide to die.

Thank you again, very much.

(I would like to leave this thread open another day to see if anybody has any other explanation ideas, and then mark it as "SOLVED", if that is alright.)
    Last edited by dwashere; August 4th, 2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Now to what happened to my hard drive. I hear you both - you are saying that is is pretty obvious that it was a hardware, connection problem. Correct?
    I never exactly said that, but i do think it was worth checking and eliminating.

Personally i suspect some firmware settings/issue but i don't discount any potential problem/ solution especially on a forum when i have no direct access to the hardware.

Is the drive working now and showing the full storage capacity ? If so, what did you do ?

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; August 5th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

I never exactly said that, but i do think it was worth checking and eliminating.
    I was referring to VMC and sudosus, both of which seemed to have said something like that.

Personally i suspect some firmware settings/issue but i don't discount any potential problem/ solution especially on a forum when i have no direct access to the hardware.
    I would guess in the same direction (firmware), although I know too little to go much farther. As to the potential problems/solutions - I generally agree with that. In my case I am still wondering how unplugging and re-plugging solved my problem...

Is the drive working now and showing the full storage capacity ? If so, what did you do ?
    Yes, it is, strangely. This is what I did:

What did I do?

I took the hard drive in its bay from this T42 (T42-1) to another T42 (T42-2). I then put the faulty drive into T42-2 and the ok drive into T42-1. I powered up both T42. T42-1 running a live Ubuntu 11.04, checking I can properly access the non-faulty drive, T42-2 running nothing, just turned on, turn to hard drive to boot, end with blinking cursor on black screen. Shut down.

Then I put the hard drives back into the respective T42 machines. Power up T42-2 to check everything works fine. Boots into XP. Check!
    Power up T42-1 to test S.M.A.R.T. Installing smarttools does not work. I start fiddling with system settings, happen upon Disk Utility, give it a spin (just for the heck of it) - and there it is, my (ex-??) faulty 160 GB drive, showing up as its true self.
    What do you think?

Beans
    Hidden!

I think we'll never know for sure. I still think it is a bad connection, not a firmware error, because firmware should not be written and rewritten like that.

Another possible(?) cause might be that something was remaining in some memory (cached or something like that), and there is a bug, so that the process is depending on it (instead of resetting everything). I have had such experiences when programming simulation programs some decade ago.

But who am I to rule out what matt_symes is suggesting? It can certainly be a firmware settings/issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Its one of those times when you throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, and then say, Ah, that's the cause, but forgetting all the others things you did.
    Troubleshooting can be a art form at times. I remember at my job having replaced a circuit board that I thought was causing the trouble, only finding out that it masked a related piece of circuity that was also defective. Wholesaling several circuit boards fixed the problem, but compounded the issue. In the end, it was determined that one board was defective, and dirt causing the second board failure.

This may be one of those times...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

I'm glad it's fixed

If moving it to another PC fixed it, then it was most likey a dodgy connection.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Thank you all again for your support and help! I am happy, too, that the machine is back in business now, and I am liking Ubuntu 12.04 so much that I put it on another machine for a friend (ACER desktop M3640). Still fighting with a Windows application that he needs to run (installing a 64bit version of Ubuntu does not seem to help using WINE...), but it's fun to feel a little bit more computing power backing Ubuntu and Unity.

It really looks like it was a connection problem, after all. I noticed that the screw holding the bay in position was missing. The bay fits pretty tight, so it's easy to miss that screw not being there, making it possible that the bay moves just a little tiny bit, enough to render the drive unusable in that moment. Happened a few days ago while I had the T42 on my lap. Suddenly it did not work anymore, and having been through all this, I pulled out the drive, re-connected it, and voila!, back to business again.

Then, as VMC suggests, who knows what else might be going on? I can totally relate to your description.

Thank you all again! It is great to have help!

All the best,

Joshua

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234