Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 160GB HDD shows up as 8GB after using GParted??

Beans

Unhappy My 160GB HDD shows up as 8GB after using GParted??

First of all - thank you to each and every one who posted in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2052274&page=1). Only this way could I find this place to ask for help.

Funny enough, I do have the problem described there initially. Earlier today I was playing away on my T42 with an internal hard drive of 160 GB and a perfectly running Win7 installation, when, after using GParted to prepare for a parallel, dual-boot installation of Linux, I was suddenly left with 7.63 GiB of unallocated space. That's what is left of my 160 GB hard drive.

Looking at things with my non-existent TestDisk capabilities it seems to me that the partition table might be completely messed up.

fdisk -l -u shows all four (last/initial) partitions (three ntfs, one ext2 <-- the one I was working on), but also only about 8 GB as total for the disk. (Before I created a new partition table. Now it shows four empty partitions.)

I tried data recovery through GParted - no success.
    I tried creating a new partition table through GParted - no success in regaining either hard drive or files.

Any chance I can (a) reclaim this hard drive and (b) maybe even rescue some files?

Any help truly appreciated!

Joshua

-----------

(And all I wanted was to check out Ubuntu on that T42...)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My 160GB HDD shows up as 8GB after using GParted??

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

1. Do you have any backup of your personal files?

2. Do you have any backup or restore disk/partition for Windows 7?

If this is the case, it might be easiest to reinstall Windows 7 and copy back the personal files.

Otherwise you can try different options with Testdisk. If no success, you can try PhotoRec to recover your files. As long as the file data are still there (not overwritten), you can use PhotoRec to recover them, or at least a fair amount of the files, even if the partition table is destroyed. But it is a slow and tedious process.

You find information about Testdisk and PhotoRec at the same web site http://www.cgsecurity.org/

Beans

Unhappy Re: My 160GB HDD shows up as 8GB after using GParted??

Thank you!

I do have a backup of the system (Win7). I do not have a backup of my files there, but they are not critical files, so I have already accepted the loss.

The main problem I am having still is that my hard disk is shown as being 8GB in size - when it actually is 160GB.

I have tried dd'ing the disk - as suggested in the referenced thread -, but even after doing that, all I get is "SCSI Disk" with "size: 7811Mib".

Any ideas how to possible get this hard drive back to life?

Beans

...now GParted does not see the disk at all (after I dd'ed it). Nothing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Please describe what kind of backup you have (how you created it)!

And describe the dd command line, you were using to restore it!

If the drive is not failing physically (and I don't think so), you should be able to start from the beginning with Gparted setting up a partition table. Menu 'Device' -- 'Create partition table'.

But if you intend to run dd for the whole drive, you need no partition table. It will be overwritten anyway when you restore from the backup image.

-o-

Is your computer an IBM Thinkpad T42? I have such a computer, and you probably need a non-pae or fake-pae system to run it. So try either Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS or Lubuntu fake-PAE (13.04, to be upgraded soon to 13.10).

Or is it some other T42? In that case, please specify the CPU, RAM size and graphics chip/card!
    Last edited by sudodus; July 31st, 2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typing error, should be: It will be overwritten ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

You might try running DBAN on it. Darik's Boot And Nuke

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Please describe what kind of backup you have (how you created it)!
    Proprietary software that I use for all my OS backups. (Can't use it now, though, because the disk is said to be only 8 GiB in size.)

And describe the dd command line, you were using to restore it!
    I did not use dd for restoration, but to write to the file as suggested by "Bashing-om" in this thread.

So it was:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M
    But it only did it within the 8 GiB the disk is now supposed to have.

If the drive is not failing physically (and I don't think so), you should be able to start from the beginning with Gparted setting up a partition table. Menu 'Device' -- 'Create partition table'.
    I tried that, to no avail, unfortunately.

But if you intend to run dd for the whole drive, you need no partition table. It will be overwritten anyway when you restore from the backup image.
    Cannot restore anything, because the needed disk space is not "seen", ie. the 160GB disk is said to be an 8GB disk.

Is your computer an IBM Thinkpad T42? I have such a computer, and you probably need a non-pae or fake-pae system to run it. So try either Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS or Lubuntu fake-PAE (13.04, to be upgraded soon to 13.10).
    Yes, that's why a straight-forward Ubuntu installation would not work. I intended to install a previous version and then try to upgrade, as that is one way it is supposed to work. I do want to try out Unity.

If that had not worked, I would have tried installing Xubuntu and then Unity. But I never got that far...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    You might try running DBAN on it. Darik's Boot And Nuke
    Will check it out tomorrow. Thanks! I am afraid, though, it might just do as all other software seems to do - (a) see the drive as 8 GiB, and then (b) either stick within that limit or fail to work at all. But I will give it a try!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This will show model info on drives:
    sudo lshw -C Disk -short

And this shows more detail:
    sudo lshw -class disk
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dwashere View Post
    Proprietary software that I use for all my OS backups. (Can't use it now, though, because the disk is said to be only 8 GiB in size.)

I did not use dd for restoration, but to write to the file as suggested by "Bashing-om" in this thread.

So it was:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M
    But it only did it within the 8 GiB the disk is now supposed to have.
    That command wiped [the available part of] the drive including the boot sector and the partition table.

I tried that, to no avail, unfortunately.

Cannot restore anything, because the needed disk space is not "seen", ie. the 160GB disk is said to be an 8GB disk.

Yes, that's why a straight-forward Ubuntu installation would not work. I intended to install a previous version and then try to upgrade, as that is one way it is supposed to work. I do want to try out Unity.

If that had not worked, I would have tried installing Xubuntu and then Unity. But I never got that far...
    I think you have a Pentium M CPU with PAE capability but no PAE flag. I run new PAE kernels of Lubuntu 13.04 and Saucy (13.10 alpha-2) using fake-PAE. It is also possible to run Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, but I think Ubuntu with Unity will be slow on that computer. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE

I don't know enough to understand your problem with the hard disk drive.

Try to run some kind of Linux (for example Xubuntu 12.04 LTS or one of the versions of Lubuntu-fake-PAE. Boot a live session from a CD or USB drive and please post the output of the following commands:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    Try to mount as many partitions as possible. Use the file browser: click on the icons and mount the partitions, that are shown in the left panel of the file browser. Then run

Code:
    df
    Please post the output between code tags like this

[code]output[/code]

to get output like this

Code:
    output
    This will show details about your hard disk drive: how it is partitioned, what is free space and what is unallocated space.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast