Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone noticed an improvement with xmir?

Beans

Re: Anyone noticed an improvement with xmir?

Does anyone see todays updates as of now? It wants to bring in unity8 packages and wants to remove indicators...

Beans

Re: unity8

Quote Originally Posted by installshield View Post
    Does anyone see todays updates as of now? It wants to bring in unity8 packages and wants to remove indicators...
    Doesn't 'want' to install unity8 here, it's available to install ('new in repository') & nothing to remove -
    Ex.
    $ sudo apt-get install unity8
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libdee-qt5-3 libhud2 libqdjango-db0 libqmenumodel0 libqt5qml-graphicaleffects libqt5svg5 libqt5xmlpatterns5
    libunity-action-qt1 libusermetricsoutput1 qmenumodel-qml qtdeclarative5-dee-plugin qtdeclarative5-qtquick2-plugin
    qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin qtdeclarative5-unity-action-plugin qtdeclarative5-unity-notifications-plugin
    qtdeclarative5-window-plugin qtdeclarative5-xmllistmodel-plugin sqlite3 ubuntu-ui-toolkit-theme unity8-fake-env
    unity8-private usermetricsservice
    Suggested packages:
    sqlite3-doc
    Recommended packages:
    indicator-battery indicator-time
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libdee-qt5-3 libhud2 libqdjango-db0 libqmenumodel0 libqt5qml-graphicaleffects libqt5svg5 libqt5xmlpatterns5
    libunity-action-qt1 libusermetricsoutput1 qmenumodel-qml qtdeclarative5-dee-plugin qtdeclarative5-qtquick2-plugin
    qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin qtdeclarative5-unity-action-plugin qtdeclarative5-unity-notifications-plugin
    qtdeclarative5-window-plugin qtdeclarative5-xmllistmodel-plugin sqlite3 ubuntu-ui-toolkit-theme unity8
    unity8-fake-env unity8-private usermetricsservice
    0 upgraded, 23 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
    Need to get 8,555 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 17.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Beans

Re: xmir unity7

With unity8/mir on a desktop install likely being pushed back to 14.10 then they'll have plenty of time to get xmir/unity/compiz fixed up by 14.04
    *appears here that they'll need the extra time, at least for nvidia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    With unity8/mir on a desktop install likely being pushed back to 14.10 then they'll have plenty of time to get xmir/unity/compiz fixed up by 14.04
    *appears here that they'll need the extra time, at least for nvidia

Thanks for that news. I had it working on (Intel) Dell Dimension and (ATi) Radeon but could not get it up with nVidia nouveau. After update/upgrade the Intel and ATi installs no longer work , are severly impaired and won't roll back to X. Of course those are i386 installs. Might as well try amd64.
    This is not Convergence, This is now Gnome
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Thanks for that news. I had it working on (Intel) Dell Dimension and (ATi) Radeon but could not get it up with nVidia nouveau. After update/upgrade the Intel and ATi installs no longer work , are severly impaired and won't roll back to X. Of course those are i386 installs. Might as well try amd64.
    At least thru 14.04, while I'd prefer nouveau of this laptop, worst case will be interested if 'fallback to X' works & if so does it show ill effects just by having xmir mesa packages installed.
    (currently it does have poor performance with xmir libs & unity-system-compositor disabled.

If I understand correctly, - if prop drivers are installed the idea would be to fallback, currently maybe it does though hard to tell because I can't get 3d support with nvidia drivers enabled, just a Desktop with no compiz/unity.

One make or break for me thru 14.04 is whether there is any horizontal tearing, anywhere, inc. videos. Without any xmir libs I have absolutely none, with xmir libs installed it's all over the place in spades.
    (when they were working on improving no tearing in compiz during 12.04 dev there was no concern with tearing in videos, never could understand that though as things worked out tearing was eliminated here everywhere.

For testing I have some short movie clips that where good tests of vsync, though I don't go around posting them.
    Here is a short tear test vid if interested, the 'pole' should never break, either in a window or fullscreen.
    (right click on link> 'save link as' teartest.mp4
    http://ubuntuone.com/6XdNK246Q4sGUp5X6RexIT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    At least thru 14.04, while I'd prefer nouveau of this laptop, worst case will be interested if 'fallback to X' works & if so does it show ill effects just by having xmir mesa packages installed.
    (currently it does have poor performance with xmir libs & unity-system-compositor disabled.
    It actually works as if it thinks it is still in xmir. The Unity Dash is absolutely useless (Intel) and it takes eons to snap off the dash and to shut down.

as for 64bit .. Just downloaded the daily and I still have those horizontal bars in Ubiquity so I do not have hi-hopes for xmir desktop at present.

Thanks .. you saved me $700 I was going to spend on an Intel i7 with HD Intel graphics mobo.
    This is not Convergence, This is now Gnome
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    It actually works as if it thinks it is still in xmir. The Unity Dash is absolutely useless (Intel) and it takes eons to snap off the dash and to shut down.
    An interesting thing here with nouveau (8400m), is to maximize the Dash

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12