Thread: Hard disk space

Beans

Hard disk space

Hi guys,

I installed Ubuntu for learning prposes and chose automatic partition and it looks like system assigned all my HD space to root.

Now i am wondering if i can change it to my user without reinstalling ubuntu or if not where do i store my data??

Would appreciate a quicker response.

Thanks in advance

er

Beans

Re: Hard disk space

Forgot to add...

/dev/mapper/Bucephalus-root 957015724 8274632 900127512 1% /
    udev 2013816 8 2013808 1% /dev
    tmpfs 809364 916 808448 1% /run
    none 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
    none 2023408 224 2023184 1% /run/shm
    /dev/sda1 233191 76606 144144 35% /boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You only have one partition which is used for everything, your user files included. Nothing to worry about.

Think of it like one big C: drive in Windows.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ernv84 View Post

Now i am wondering if i can change it to my user without reinstalling ubuntu or if not where do i store my data??

Would appreciate a quicker response.
    When the user selects the automatic partitioning, Ubuntu creates a root partition and the /home partition hosted under root. So you can store your data without problems. The only difference here is that you don't have a separate /home partition, but /home in under root.
    Code:
    cd /
    ls

Forgot to add...

/dev/mapper/Bucephalus-root 957015724 8274632 900127512 1% /
    Did you select the LVM during installation ? If yes, read here about LVM
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuDesktopLVM

I've never used it.

Beans

Does it mean my /home is under root now??? So i can keep all my data in home directory and it will use space from that 950G ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does it mean my /home is under root now??? So i can keep all my data in home directory and it will use space from that 950G ?
    Yes.

Beans

This somewhat dated chart pretty much explains what the file system hierarchy looks like: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VidzeWdctO...+hierarchy.png

If you designate only one partition for root (/), everything else still falls under it. You can split these directories into multiple partitions if you want, but for a desktop machine, that's not really necessary.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The biggest drawback is in the future, when you want to move to, for example, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The safest way to do this is by a normal install, which will wipe out all your data.

On my system, I have separate partitions: 36 GB for /, 4 GB for swap and the rest for /home. I have installed new versions without losing any of my data. (But I still have excellent backup, as one slip of the fingers might wipe it all out.) And I actually have another partition for fooling around with new versions/distros. And a second hard drive which currently has the Preview of Windows 8.1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    The biggest drawback is in the future, when you want to move to, for example, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The safest way to do this is by a normal install, which will wipe out all your data.
    No it won't. The Ubuntu installer has been clever enough not to overwrite existing /home folders on a root partition for some time now. The justification for having separate /home partitions is pretty much zero now. I still have mine on separate partitions, but that's only because it's a leftover from the old days. I should probably get around to consolidating next time I reinstall.