Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Login has changed.... Have you lost your minds?

hLtbPDh is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Login has changed.... Have you lost your minds?

That was a dirty trick. I am permanently locked out of my original account that I have had for several years. I never wanted or needed an Ubuntu One account. I already had another cloud resource and don't appreciate Ubuntu trying to force me to use theirs. I didn't like that about Microsoft and for Ubuntu to pull this crap via Ubuntu Forums is just a slap in the face. I am not at all happy with Ubuntu or Ubuntu Forums and think that was a REALLY STUPID thing to do.

Regardless of how incredibily put off I am, I still want my original account back. How can I get that back? Creating an Ubuntu One account with the same email address, user name, and password didn't work. In fact I was assigned a username I would have never chosen instead of the one I put in the username field when I signed up. There was no indication given that my username would be automatically assigned.

How many long-term Ubuntu users have been alienated by their trusted support resource?
    This really sucks and seriously needs to be rethought... and hopefully, quickly undone.

Beans

Re: Login has changed.... Have you lost your minds?

...got your point, lost my beans,also. lol, and my user name...am not feeling good bout this...but what can we do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Please read this thread, specifically the section titled 'Existing Forum Account Holders, please note the following:'
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2164051

This information is also clearly stated on the front page of the forum before logging in.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; July 30th, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
    Cheesemill

hLtbPDh is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Install Arch Linux, or something NOT Ubuntu-based and leave Canonical behind?
    I just want my account back. I had active discussions and I really don't feel like starting them all over again.

After 6 years I'm locked out of my account without so much as a warning and I can't even have my username.
    Who was the genius who thought this was a good thing to do to the forum users?

Somebody really screwed up and I hope they reinstate the original login at least long enough for users to get their accounts straightened out.
    Last edited by hLtbPDh; July 30th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.

Beans

Cheesemill - perhaps you can help me with the same problem. I have a thread in the general forum about it, but it comes down to this:

• my email points to my OLD Ubuntu One accout, where my userid was "anewguy" - my old id on the forums
    • on the forums my userid "anewguy" was locked at my request and a new account started as "squakie"
    • following the note on the opening page when I first came back after the fixing of the forums (btw - thanks everyone involved for that!), I went to Ubuntu One and put in my email address to log in.
    • that login got me to my old account of "anewguy"
    • I tried changing my username there to "squakie" and setting the password to match that of my "squakie" account on the forums
    • the forums logged me in as "anewguy2"

How can I get around this? Like others, I just want my existing account of "squakie" back and I know it somehow ties back to the Ubuntu One account, but I just don't see how to fix it.

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It would help if all of you with this problem, would let us know what your user names are, so that we can rectify the problem. The change to SSO was done, so that no one can come in and steal passwords and user names again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy2 View Post
    [*]the forums logged me in as "anewguy2"
    That is because you did not match our Ubuntu One email and forums email as is clearly stated in the notice before you login and the sticky that it links to here.

I'll get you sorted out, but please be patient. The OP and poster #2 seem to have uncovered a bug which we need to bring to the attention of sysadmins to get sorted.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy2 View Post
    Cheesemill - perhaps you can help me with the same problem. I have a thread in the general forum about it, but it comes down to this:

• my email points to my OLD Ubuntu One accout, where my userid was "anewguy" - my old id on the forums
    • on the forums my userid "anewguy" was locked at my request and a new account started as "squakie"
    • following the note on the opening page when I first came back after the fixing of the forums (btw - thanks everyone involved for that!), I went to Ubuntu One and put in my email address to log in.
    • that login got me to my old account of "anewguy"
    • I tried changing my username there to "squakie" and setting the password to match that of my "squakie" account on the forums
    • the forums logged me in as "anewguy2"

How can I get around this? Like others, I just want my existing account of "squakie" back and I know it somehow ties back to the Ubuntu One account, but I just don't see how to fix it.

Thank you.
    Are you using the same gmail account?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

@hLtbPDh, and @rTJCCrc, we can get you sorted out and restored to your original accounts, but we need to know what went wrong with your SSO login, and we need some more details. First thing:

Did you have a username assigned to your Ubuntu One account or was the username field blank?

I suggest you both read this for the reason why SSO was introduced:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2164064
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

I think I'm having the same problem.
    I was using the same Gmail account on one.ubuntu.com and ubuntuforums.org, but for some reason it created a new account here at the forums. I think my username on one.ubuntu.com and the forums were different though (benvanaerde vs bvanaerde), so maybe that's the problem?

I should be this guy. Any idea if I can access the old account?

edit: it seems the forum was using an ancient hotmail address of mine. Pretty sure I changed that.
    But I managed to login with the old account now.
    Last edited by benvanaerde; July 30th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast