Thread: How to install Ubuntu Server OS on HP Proliant DL380e Gen8 server

Beans

How to install Ubuntu Server OS on HP Proliant DL380e Gen8 server

I just purchased a HP Proliant DL380e Gen8 server. I'm stuck trying to install ubuntu server 12.04 on the server. According to http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/s...onical.html#DL, the server supports ubuntu 12.04.
    Can someone help me find a step by step process of installing ubuntu server OS on this server that works. Been googling all afternoon.
    I do not know where to start. I have never worked with this kind of hardware before and non of the Operating Systems supported by Intelligent Provisioning are Open Source. So when I choose to set up the server using Intelligent Provisioning, the only OS options I have to choose from are Windows Server/Red hat/ Suse Enterprise and VM Ware.
    How do I install Ubuntu Server?
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to install Ubuntu Server OS on HP Proliant DL380e Gen8 server

If those are your choices, and you are forced to use one of them, I'd install CentOS 6.4 choosing the RedHat provisioning instead of Ubuntu Server. Are you committed to Ubuntu Server?

What is provisioning anyway? Can you not avoid all this and simply boot the Ubuntu Server CD directly? Perhaps a setting in the BIOS might help?
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 19th, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    What is provisioning anyway? Can you not avoid all this and simply boot the Ubuntu Server CD directly? Perhaps a setting in the BIOS might help?
    http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/s...tprovisioning/

Stuff that earlier was located on CD's (Smartstart) that is now, on gen8's, fitted onto a flash chip. Easier driver updating and other things. Copied from hp's website, "Provides step-by-step HP ProLiant server deployment assistance in a simple and consistent manner. "

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Easy solution, install VMware's ESXi server, then use vSphere to manage it and create a virtual server and install Ubuntu Server on it. That is how I run all my Ubuntu Servers...on top of ESXi.