Thread: Help wanted with customising the markdown panel in gedit

Beans

Help wanted with customising the markdown panel in gedit

I have gedit 3.6.2 and I've installed a plugin (gedit-markdown: support for Markdown language in gedit) that allows me to preview markdown text as html in a separate panel within gedit.

I want to know if it's possible to change the background color of the lower panel from white to something else like #999. My guess is that I may need to edit some css in my theme. I'm using Greybird (from "shimmer-themes" in the Software Center).

For the upper (main) panel, I use a slightly modified Cobalt color scheme.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans

Re: Help wanted with customising the markdown panel in gedit

I can get what I want by including:
    Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="file:///home/vasa1/mkd.css">
    at the top of each markdown file where mkd.css contains the style I wish to apply to the html preview. However, this requires editing each of my existing markdown files.

I'm hoping there's a way to do this by modifying the plug-in itself so as to avoid adding this code to each markdown file but that seems to require knowledge of Python
    Last edited by vasa1; August 2nd, 2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: added stuff
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans

By way of a "bump", the image shows how markdown (right) is displayed as html (left).

I looked at~/.local/share/gedit/plugins/markdown-preview/__init__.py for any changes a non-Python, non-coder person can make easily. The closest thing I can think of is:
    Code:
    # Can be used to add default HTML code (e.g. default header section with CSS).
    htmlTemplate = "%s"
    lines 39 and 40 in the link over here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5938766/
    but I don't know how to proceed, if that is indeed what has to be changed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans