Thread: Apache2 with multiple domains: server reacts only to the IP but to non of the domains

Beans

Apache2 with multiple domains: server reacts only to the IP but to non of the domains

Hi,
    I have a basic server with only the important packages and appache2 installed (no plesk or other administration tools). I am renting this server on a hoster to whom i imported 3 domains from another (my old) webhoster.

The apache is in the default configuration, there is the default virtual host (no other virtual hosts) and my understanding is that all browser requests to my ip: 123.456.7.8
    should be handled by the default virtual host (i.e. should use the Document Root directory defined in the default file).

In my case the server only shows the default page when using the server ip in the browser, when using one of the domains i got the error that no website was available.

I just want to clarify if this is because of the domain transfer process is not finished or if there is a configuration issue.
    Is it so that when the domain transfer process is finished that the domains should be leading to the server ip? In the moment they are not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Apache2 with multiple domains: server reacts only to the IP but to non of the dom

Quote Originally Posted by frankoo View Post
    Hi,
    I have a basic server with only the important packages and appache2 installed (no plesk or other administration tools). I am renting this server on a hoster to whom i imported 3 domains from another (my old) webhoster.

The apache is in the default configuration, there is the default virtual host (no other virtual hosts) and my understanding is that all browser requests to my ip: 123.456.7.8
    should be handled by the default virtual host (i.e. should use the Document Root directory defined in the default file).

In my case the server only shows the default page when using the server ip in the browser, when using one of the domains i got the error that no website was available.

I just want to clarify if this is because of the domain transfer process is not finished or if there is a configuration issue.
    Is it so that when the domain transfer process is finished that the domains should be leading to the server ip? In the moment they are not.
    Does that mean that your domains are currently not pointing at your webserver's ip?

If that is the case, the content on the domains are not served by your server, and will continue to be not served until the ip Address is updated in the DNS
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Apache2 with multiple domains: server reacts only to the IP but to non of the dom

To see it the server handles virtual hosts correctly, set the IP in you conputer's /etc/hosts file.
    123.456.7.8 www.domain1.com
    123.456.7.8 www.domain2.com
    Then try typing the www.domain1.com and www.domain2.com in your web browser. It the web pages are displayed correctly, then it is a DNS issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

To find what your current dns settings for each domain run dig, host commands.

Code:
    host yourdomain.com
    Code:
    dig yourdomain.com
    If the ip address returned is not your server, you'll need to update your dns settings at your domain registrar, or
    wherever you have pointed you nameservers.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.