Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to burn a CD that will boot/autoexecute...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Need to burn a CD that will boot/autoexecute...

Hi.
    Am happily running 12.04 with Gnome.
    How to download and burn a Norton antivirus executable "Power Erase" .exe to rescue / fix a FBI virus in a WinVista machine ?
    Or. "Microsoft security essentials" .exe

I can download such anti-virus to my always healthy 12.04 desktop; then, I have Brasero and do not see an option to make the CD to be burned as bootable/autoexecutable.

How to, in simple steps that a beguinner can follow, please ?
    The intention is to put the bootable CD in the sick Vista machine and autoexecute the virus removal program at turn on.
    Last edited by Innernet; July 17th, 2013 at 03:39 AM.

Beans

Re: Need to burn a CD that will boot/autoexecute...

You will also need to burn an OS to that CD.

This has already been done by the German magazine C'T. The resul is called "Desinfect / Desinfec't". It's based on ... Ubuntu. See http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desinfec%E2%80%99t
    If you Google "desinfect 2013" , you can find download places.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You could try using the Trinity Rescue Kit. It will not run your Norton.exe but does have several anti-virus packages.
    http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.ph...=en&locale=en/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

if you use repair disks such as for example the one from Avira or bitdefender it will already have an operating system on it (linux) and oyu then download the updates and do the cleaning on windows mashcine.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!

AVG also have a FREE recue CD that you can download from http://www.avg.com/au-en/avg-rescue-cd
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, gentlemen.
    But am not looking for any common antiviruses programs as some of you suggested.
    The FBI virus is the nastiest of them all, that can only be removed by a couple of methods as far as I learned. Tried others: unsuccessful.

So, in other words, am after burning a CD with two files in it:
    - the FBI virus removal capable software -->executable, and
    - a file that will make that CD bootable on a Vista machine.

The second one is the key.

Would this work ? :----> http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howtocacdtwar.htm

But still do not know enough to put it together with my Ubuntu machine. Do I make a text file with 'Text Editor' and just burn both the antivirus and the text file into the CD ?

What name the text file has to have in order to be read at turn-on ? Is it autorun.inf ?
    Sorry, but am not as smart as you are.
    Last edited by Innernet; July 17th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Innernet View Post
    Thanks, gentlemen.
    But am not looking for any common antiviruses programs as some of you suggested.
    The FBI virus is the nastiest of them all, that can only be removed by a couple of methods as far as I learned. Tried others: unsuccessful.

So, in other words, am after burning a CD with two files in it:
    - the FBI virus removal capable software, and
    - a file that will make that CD bootable on a Vista machine.

The second one is the key.

Would this work ? :----> http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howtocacdtwar.htm

But still do not know enough to put it together with my Ubuntu machine. Do I make a text file with 'Text Editor' and just burn both the antivirus and the text file into the CD ?

What name the text file has to have in order to be read at turn-on ?
    Sorry, but am not as smart as you are.
    no, that link will only show how to create a cd which auto-run's an application within windows, meaning you're already booted into a windows operating system.

if you want us to help you, you need to clarify your situation. can you successfully boot into windows vista or not? if you can then simply download the exe and run it. if you can't boot into windows vista than these instructions for running nortons power eraser fromnortons bootable recovery media can be found here: http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/nbrt.aspx BUT again, that's an exe and assumes that you have a windows machine to run the exe which will probably create bootable media for you BUT you need a windows machine to create it since linux can't run .exe's

here's some other ways to remove FBI ransomware http://www.zimbio.com/Latest+Compute...ay+remove+fake
    Last edited by dannyboy79; July 17th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks.
    No, the Vista machine does not boot into Windows; freezes by some infected file in the 'Startup'
    The 'FBI' virus has mutations that make standard procedures unsuccessful to remove.

The autoexecutable will not be intended to run on Linux; just burn the CD in Linux and used on the sick Vista machine.
    Last edited by Innernet; July 17th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ok, the thing you may not be understanding is that the files you have linked to are .exe files and can only be "executed" from within a running windows operating system. So you trying to use those linked .exe files isn't going to happen IF you can't even boot into windows vista. can you even boot into safe mode? did you go to the last link I provided to view the various options for removing the fbi ransomware virus? i understand that you have a mutated version of the fbi ransomware virus, so if the standard ways of removing it don't work for you than how do you expect norton's .exe to work?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks.
    I believe to know where am goofing... please confirm ?
    The antivirus I want to run is an executable for Windows and the booting files as command.com + autoexec.bat + config.sys + others are DOS.
    And cannot get a DOS antivirus that will kill 'FBI'

Both in a CD would make the sick PC to boot to DOS but the antivirus will not run under DOS.

There are .exe for DOS and .exe for Win. and you cannot tell from the filename.exe which is for what, and each play only with their team How far am from guessing right ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast