Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A message to Canonical

Beans

Re: A message to Canonical

Quote Originally Posted by gotnexusbluz View Post
    There is your opinion, which reflects your personal experience, and then there is the real world of desktop users - this is a world in which Linux (greatly influenced by Ubuntu) has little if any influence. Many of them have tried Ubuntu, and most of them throw their hands up and then throw away Linux forever. Why do you think that is? Not everybody thinks like you do!

By the way, I have been through the argument of command line power over gui power. All true, but it's mostly irrelevent to the needs of most desktop users. As far as lists go on comparative possibilities, innovation may conversely make any GUI as powerful as the CLI (if not as quick). There's food for thought - Linux already has splendid gui innovations over Windows with it's file browser GUIs, so why stop where you are? The gurus need to get it through their heads (IF they really want to compete with Windows and Mac) that most people are visual-oriented, they will never think like they do, and they aren't interested in becoming power users!
    I do not insist that everyone think like me! (But it sounds like maybe you do? ) My only concern is to answer the poster's question as quickly and accurately as possible. When I give a CLI solution, I am not saying "this is the only way to do it," but rather, "this is the way *I* would do it." If someone wants to ignore my timely and helpful advice because it uses terminal, that's OK with me. Linux is all about choice.

I'm getting awfully tired of the "all linux users MUST crusade to rid the world of Windows and Mac!!!" argument. My reasons for posting here have nothing to do with that. I'm here to help other users as I myself have been helped (the definition of "Ubuntu").

Beans

An analogy would be if on a carpentry forum I said "Use your hammer and drive the nail..." and someone interrupts to say, "wait a minute, what do you have against nail guns, you hippie!?!?"

Just because I use a particular tool doesn't mean I think that is the only tool, or the superior tool, or I want nails to be more popular than screws. I just happen to own a hammer, is all. No hidden agenda.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    The OP should ask himself whether he prefers to use nano to edit a .conf file (usually found in a predictable location and full of comments and examples) or browse registry where anything can be anywhere and there are no comments whatsoever. This could be extrapolated to other things. For example, netsh is much more obscure and confusing than any Linux network configuration tool (OK, probably iptables without any frontend is equally complicated).
    Why nano to edit conf files instead of gedit or kwrite unless you have only a dumb terminal? This is making life unnecessarily difficult for new users. I am glad that you didn't say vi.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Why nano to edit conf files instead of gedit or kwrite unless you have only a dumb terminal? This is making life unnecessarily difficult for new users. I am glad that you didn't say vi.
    Why not leafpad? Why not mousepad? Why not notepad in WINE?

People have their favorite tools. If someone is volunteering their time to help someone, then we should be pleased they are embodying UBUNTU, not nitpicking that your favorite tools are different from my favorite tools.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Closed for staff review
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Removed two posts from thread.

Please do not make this thread into an argument/etc, or it will be closed again.

Thanks
    Last edited by sandyd; July 16th, 2013 at 06:10 AM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Not at all - some discussions come up over and over again.

We keep them in the same place is all.
    Yes, you relegate them equally to the obscurity zone, where their influence is least effective. You are that much afraid that new user will be exposed to the truth of Ubuntu, which is that they really don't have to take it like this!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@gotnexusbluz , I think you are labouring under quite a few msconceptions,:

First, even though the Forum is owned and hosted by Canonical, We are all volunteers here, including the moderation team.

I believe that this first point is where you have the greatest problem, you seem to assume that we have something to lose financially if Ubuntu doesn't work for everyone.

Second, Ubuntu isn't a WIndows replacement, you have to spend just as much time learning to use it, as you did Windows. As a matter of fact, most of what you know about Windows, won't work when using it.

Third, your assertion that Ubuntu isn't ready for everyday usage, I guess I better stop using it because of what you said, as I've been using Ubuntu almost exclusively since 2006, even using it to run my business before I shut it down, because I got tired of seeing the same WIndows problems over and over again.

Finally, even though I'm an Admin and a member of the Forum Council, I personally don't care whether you use Ubuntu or one of the many other distributions. What I do care about is that if you use a Linux distribution, that instead of sitting back and complaining, you and everyone else help out with making things better.

This may mean that you have to learn more about how Ubuntu or any distribution works, such as the correct place to air your complaints, how to actually contact developers, how to create an accurate and valid bug report and how to participate in the community.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My message to Canonical: THANK YOU for making an awesome operating system and giving it away for free; for providing support for it; for facilitating it's improvement, adaptation, and implementation across an infinite range of computers, users, and applications for business, education, entertainment, and personal enjoyment. THANK YOU for bringing the power of Debian Linux to us ordinary computer users who don't have the time and talent to make it work on our home desktop computers. THANK YOU for encouraging and supporting derivatives like Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu,and Ubuntu Studio instead of insisting that we all fit into the same mould.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Peripheral Visionary View Post
    My message to Canonical: THANK YOU for making an awesome operating system and giving it away for free; for providing support for it; for facilitating it's improvement, adaptation, and implementation across an infinite range of computers, users, and applications for business, education, entertainment, and personal enjoyment. THANK YOU for bringing the power of Debian Linux to us ordinary computer users who don't have the time and talent to make it work on our home desktop computers. THANK YOU for encouraging and supporting derivatives like Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu,and Ubuntu Studio instead of insisting that we all fit into the same mould.
    I generally don't make "+1" posts but in this case I can't think of anything better to sum up the past three years of my involvement with Ubuntu and what I might write in "My message to Canonical".

So,

+1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast