Thread: ubuntu live disc doesn't boot *with video*

Beans

ubuntu live disc doesn't boot *with video*

hello yes

i have a ubuntu 32 12.04 disc that works perfectly fine on a friend's computer - so it's not the disc

however fails to boot as can be seen here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQjEm_4GpG4
    it fails at the 1:51 mark

i'm unsure what other infomation to provide. motherboard is on latest BIOS. i tried the 64 bit version and similar thing happens

AMD Phenom 965
    ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2

4 GB 1333 Mhz RM
    AMD Radeon 6670
    Last edited by flyinghats; July 15th, 2013 at 10:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ubuntu live disc doesn't boot *with video*

OK, try this out and then inform....

On the first boot from the Ubuntu DVD you will find a purple screen with a Man=keyboard sign at the bottom of the screen:

1)At that screen you hit Enter...
    it gives you a next screen where by default you will get a list of languages with English selected as default..

2)on that screen select English/or what you want---> hit enter... It will get you the Try Ubuntu/Install Ubuntu Screen

at the bottom of the screen you will see options underneath F1 F2 F3 etc.. ... Hit F6 on that screen..
    You will see a pop up Box at the bottom of the screen... use the arrow keys to go down to: "NOMODESET" hit enter... a small Cross(X) will appear beside 'nomodeset'

3)Press escape

Then choose Try/Install
    It should just boot up fine ....

BTW, All 'nomodeset' does is, it stops installing the video drivers at the beginning...
    if you r using AMD, you may have to download proprietary drivers(Once installed) to get the right screen resolution n all....
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

thank you for the help - i had no idea the menu existed - before i was just doing the same thing

yes i tried your advice - again some erratic results. it says it will boot in low graphics mode then ends up at console

i wonder if the graphics card is the problem - i was thinking of taking the card out and trying with the motherboard graphics instead. or i could just wait half a year and try with a new version of ubuntu. i think i'll try the 64 bit version again too

here's the new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA96NjuxYCI

edit: having discovered the enter mode at the beginning - i have found that this computer runs linux mint in compatibility mode - which is the ubuntu based operating system i wanted to work - and i think i will just have to find a graphics driver for it
    Last edited by flyinghats; July 15th, 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Worth giving the Motherboard graphics a try...Also, sometimes only 'nomodeset' will not do the trick & u may have to select a combination available from that F6 menu...

Also, you can try out the Ubuntu 13.04 Live Cd
    Dont install, try out a live session....
    If you have to then try using the 'nomodeset' to try the live session & see how that works out....

In case you get something positive then you go forward & install.... I am sorry, i cannot help you with Mint....
    Last edited by su:bhatta; July 16th, 2013 at 07:11 AM.
    bhatta

'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You should have a look at these pages for more details:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15284...12-04-live-usb

Also, have a look around & search these forums & askubuntu.com .
    Last edited by su:bhatta; July 15th, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
    bhatta

'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1 for the help you have received so far.

Just a suggestion, once you reach the failsafe terminal (I assume) try running "startx" and see what errors you get, if possible please supply them. Also, the output of "dmesg" at this point will be helpful. You should have a fully functional system at this point, besides the graphics (no GUI). So you should be able to pipe any output to file and copy that file to somewhere you can access it, such a usb stick or the hard drive to attach here. If you are not sure how to do that, feel free to ask. I agree with "bhattabhishek" that it is a graphics driver issue, and also suggest giving the on board a try.

Good luck
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.