Thread: New to Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

New to Ubuntu

Hello everybody, I'm ken, brand new to Ubuntu at 50 years old, I learn pretty fast, and I have a minor problem right now with Windows that has made me decide to install Linux, baa use the windows problem is a Microsoft thing and they don't know what to do ( go figure huh).
    Anyway my question is this, which Distro do I need for the common computer operate, with a home network 10 or 13? I'm currently downloading both and I have a clean Hdd to put one of them on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New to Ubantu

Either one of the two listed here should work for you.

Welcome to the forums.

By the way, what do you mean by 10 or 13?
    Ubuntu doesn't have a 10 or 13.
    Ubuntu versions go by year and month of release.
    So the two available right now are 12.04(April 2012)
    And 13.04(April 2013)
    Aside from releases every April, There are releases in october.
    Releases come in six month cycles.
    Last edited by deadflowr; July 14th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New to Ubantu

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen1086 View Post
    Hello everybody, I'm ken, brand new to Ubuntu at 50 years old, I learn pretty fast, and I have a minor problem right now with Windows that has made me decide to install Linux, baa use the windows problem is a Microsoft thing and they don't know what to do ( go figure huh).
    Anyway my question is this, which Distro do I need for the common computer operate, with a home network 10 or 13? I'm currently downloading both and I have a clean Hdd to put one of them on
    I'm guessing that "home network 10 or 13", means your referring to Ubuntu 10.04 vs Ubuntu 13.04. If that's what you mean, then I would suggest Ubuntu 12.04, as its the newest and its EOL is 2017. Personally, I have found It more stable than the current releases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: New to Ubuntu

For the novice like me I would suggest Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The LTS means Long Term Support. A side from the LTS versions the other or regular release versions ( every 6 months) are only supported I think 18 months. After that you either run the unsupported version. Meaning no bug or security fixes or you upgrade. I prefer not to upgrade so much, so I use the LTS versions.
    Why aren't you on #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net?
    Answers and Howtos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@farrinux, unfortunately 12.10 was the last release to get 18 months support.
    From here on in all standard/non-LTS-releases get only 9 months.
    LTS will continue to get the increased 5 years though.

I think the reason behind the support halving was that most of those running the interim releases typically upgrade to newer releases soon after the new release hits the shelves, so to say.

Expect an onslaught of threads demanding various releases get support increases.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Somewhat depends on hardware.
    If very new system, you may need the latest kernel, video & drivers with the newest version.
    If a main stream system from the last 5 or 6 years and more than 2GB of RAM and decent video card, then 12.04 full Ubuntu.
    If older system with less RAM or limited video, then 12.04 Xubuntu or Lubuntu may be better choice.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.