Thread: Will upgrading to 13.04 delete everything in ArtistX 12.10?

Beans

Will upgrading to 13.04 delete everything in ArtistX 12.10?

Hiya gurus,

I'm an absolute newbie having just installed Artistx Ubuntu 12.10 about two weeks ago. Everything's up and running and I'm really pleased with it. Recently, a software update prompt keeps asking me to upgrade to Raring Ringtail 13.04.

Will simply clicking to update 12.10 install a fresh copy of 13.04 and wipe out all the software packages and settings in Artistx?

Thanks very much.

Regards
    Bagan Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Will upgrading to 13.04 delete everything in ArtistX 12.10?

Your settings are stored in hidden files and folders inside your home directory. Nothing in your home directory is touched during an upgrade, so the settings are safe.

The upgrade process works like the normal system updates, but just on a grander scale. Your programs will be updated to the versions available in 13.04 if they are in the repositories, and ignored (preserved) if they did not come from the Ubuntu repositories.

In short, you are safe to upgrade. Just remember that, if everything is working for you, there isn't really any requirement to upgrade. Ubuntu 12.10 still has 9 months support remaining.

Beans

Hi 3rdalbum,

Thanks alot for explaining so cleary. I'll just stick with 12.10 for now.

Regards
    Bagan Buntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Your settings are stored in hidden files and folders inside your home directory. Nothing in your home directory is touched during an upgrade, so the settings are safe.

The upgrade process works like the normal system updates, but just on a grander scale. Your programs will be updated to the versions available in 13.04 if they are in the repositories, and ignored (preserved) if they did not come from the Ubuntu repositories.

In short, you are safe to upgrade. Just remember that, if everything is working for you, there isn't really any requirement to upgrade. Ubuntu 12.10 still has 9 months support remaining.

Beans

ArtistX is not Ubuntu, so follow the advice/instructions on their website: http://artistx.org/blog/

We can give you advice here about Ubuntu, but this advice may or may not be applicable on an Ubuntu-based distros such as ArtistX, Mint, Zorin, Backtrack, Deepin, etc.. In particular, the upgrade process may or may not be the same as Ubuntu depending on whether the derivative's developers have added additional software repositories/configuration.

Beans

The ArtistX website describes their upgrade process pretty well:
    http://artistx.org/blog/upgrade-to-a-newer-version/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bmullan View Post
    The ArtistX website describes their upgrade process pretty well:
    http://artistx.org/blog/upgrade-to-a-newer-version/
    Wow, those are pretty bad instructions. I think the OP is on the right track sticking with 12.10!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think the OP is on the right track sticking with 12.10!
    I agree with you. The download on offer is still 12.10. Until the developer brings out a 13.04 version I would not upgrade. There is a very big code difference between 12.10 and 13.04.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530