Thread: Help backing up files

Beans

Help backing up files

I'm new to Ubuntu and trying to learn it. I can't figure out how to backup a file to a system file.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help backing up files

What version of Ubuntu are you using? Is Deja Dub Backup Tool what your looking for. If so, it can be found under System Settings. I'm also unsure what your meaning is "file to system file".

Beans

I'd have to also recommend DirSyncPro. It's pretty easy to setup but still gives you enough power to get a little technical with the way you backup.

The only issue I've seen is the version of Java pre-installed, but only on older Ubunutu versions. As long as you update to the latest version, the program work fine.

Beans

I'm not really sure the version. But I want to backup my .bashrc file so that I can change something in it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can use right-click options in the file manager(nautilus/home folder).
    Simply right click on the file and select copy, then right click on an empty space in the window and select paste.
    You'll get, by default, filename(copy). Use rename if a better name fits it for you.
    If you want to replace the new file with the old just rename it again and you'll be asked if you want to replace the existing file.
    Just say yes.

Sidenote: Because the .bashrc is a hidden file, it most likely won't show up at first.
    Use either ctrl+h, or go to view/view options > show hidden files.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

Backup one or a few files doesn't mean you are safe.
    Sometimes making some simple changes can be deadly (Computer won't boot, freeze, screen goes dark...)
    I suggest using Clonezilla to back up whole system.
    I keep data on another partition (using symlinks) so system and home partitions together take less than 7G, and 5 minutes to clone.
    I also keep data on two partitions, one that I backup occasionally by cloning, the other - expendable - never. In both cases I copy, one shot
    deal, to my external HDD files that I want to keep.
    You can download free Parted Magic, that includes Clonezilla and several more ...