Thread: An ideal Ubuntu Store (DRM)?

Beans

An ideal Ubuntu Store (DRM)?

Disclaimer: Personally I hate DRM.

However looking at the market, it's pretty unlikely that Ubuntu will drop DRM on their Ubuntu Touch in the future, unless they want to go bankrupt. So what's your ideal DRM? And please don't just say no DRM. After looking at the xbox one DRM fiasco, I think most people don't agree with DRM because it doesn't have the rights that you would get when you buy a physical disc. So I wonder if you would accept DRM if you still have the rights when you buy a physical disc?

For example:

1. You can test any app before you buy it for a day or two.
    2. You can transfer license permanently (sell used app) to other users from the Ubuntu Store.
    3. You can transfer license temporarily (lent an app) to other users from the Ubuntu Store. How many times you could lent your apps is not limited just like in xbox one, but you could only lent it one at a time just like a ohysical disc.
    4. In the app preview there's a section about licenses/DRM so if you don't like a DRM apps you know which one that has a DRM in it and which one that aren't
    5. To attract developers to agree with the transfer of licenses, in the app preview there will be two type of price. The cheaper price and the higher price (w/ license transfer capability). ie, $1 (n/ license transfer) and $2 (w/ license transfer)
    6. The DRM app aren't restricted to Ubuntu only. So as long as the other distro has an Ubuntu Store on it, and the app is possible to run on that machine. You're allowed to run them there. Kinda like steam.

So what do you guys think, any other idea? Oh yeah it's my second post here so hi guys and nice talking to you. Thx.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: An ideal Ubuntu Store (DRM)?

Practically anything I can say about DRM would yield an infraction immediately. Maybe even two infractions.

Beans

I would get banned for giving my opinion on DRM

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The only good DRM is NO DRM.

Beans

Please the the above posts,LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm actually happy enough with the current DRM, although try-before-you-buy is a great idea (an hour should do just fine). I don't care about lending or reselling digital goods, especially because I know nearly nobody in real life with Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I'm actually happy enough with the current DRM, although try-before-you-buy is a great idea (an hour should do just fine). I don't care about lending or reselling digital goods, especially because I know nearly nobody in real life with Ubuntu.
    Yeah it's not rare that I regret buying an app. I also think it's a good idea.

Thanks for the answer guys. The reply is just as what I was expected

Btw, check this out. Stupid or what?
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...customer.shtml

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Books with DRM illustrate my point exactly about DRM. If some author can't be bothered to care about exact word choice, then I can't possibly be expected to care about their words as a reader. By the same token, if my software has to be clouded and corrupted by "Rights Management," then it obviously isn't good enough to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For a second, I thought this was a post about DRAM and the poster forgot the "A"
    This post is like Brigadoon!