Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wintec Filemate Wireless-N PCI Adapter HELP!'

Beans

Unhappy Wintec Filemate Wireless-N PCI Adapter HELP!'

Hello,
    I recently purchased and installed the Wintec Filemate Wireless-N PCI Adapter and to my dismay it refused to work with ubuntu. I went to the manufactuerer's website and downloaded the official driver for ubuntu linux. The only trouble is, IT DOESN'T WORK! I followed the instructions in the included readme:

INFO ABOUT MY SETUP:
    PCI Card Model: 3FMPCIMWN-R

--------------------------RAW TEXT FROM README:------------------------------
    Runing the scripts accomplish all operations including building up modules
    from the source code, installing driver to the kernel and starting up the nic.
    1. Build up the drivers from the source code
    make

2. Install the driver to the kernel
    make install
    reboot

3. bring up wlan if nic is not brought up by GUI, such as NetworkManager
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    Note: use ifconfig to check whether wlan0 is brought up and use iwconfig to check your wlan interface name,
    since it may change wlan0 to wlan1,etc.
    And I still get an error 2 when I try to even run the first command("sudo make"). Obviously I am running server edition of Ubuntu and want to keep it that way. This is the following output of the first instruction:

------------END RAW TEXT---------------------

------------BEGIN OUTPUT---------------------

jammerxd@JAMMERD:~/linux_driver2$ make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-19-generic'
    CC [M] /home/jammerxd/linux_driver2/ieee80211/ieee80211_rx.o
    In file included from /home/jammerxd/linux_driver2/ieee80211/ieee80211_rx.c:45:0:
    /home/jammerxd/linux_driver2/ieee80211/ieee80211.h:2279:24: error: field 'ps_task' has inclomplete type
    /home/jammerxd/linux_driver2/ieee80211/ieee80211_rx.c: In function 'ieee80211_rx_mgt_rsl':
    /home/jammerxd/linux_driver2/ieee80211/ieee80211_rx.c:3012:17: error: implicit declaration of function 'tasklet_schedule' [-Werr
    or=implicit-function-declaration]
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    make[2]: *** [/home/jammerxd/linux_driver2/ieee80211/ieee80211_rx.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/jammerxd/linux_driver2/ieee80211] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-190generic'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

-----------END OUTPUT------------------
    Can anyone help me and tell me why this is happening? These files were downloaded directly from the manufacturer website!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wintec Filemate Wireless-N PCI Adapter HELP!'

How about posting the output of this command?

Code:
    lspci
    ?

The output will look similar to this:

Code:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
    This will tell us which chipset is used in your device. Did you happen to install your device and start your machine to see if your device was recognized? For devices/chipsets that have been around for a while this is sometimes all that is required. There are wireless wizards on this forum. I am not one but knowing the chipset in question is a good first step.
    Last edited by kurt18947; July 12th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Beans

That commande lists all the pci devices installed on my system. The one we are interested in(the wintec pci card) is as follows:

02:0b.0 Network Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8190 802.11n Wireless LAN

This means that my chipset is the Realtek 8190.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jammerxd View Post
    That commande lists all the pci devices installed on my system. The one we are interested in(the wintec pci card) is as follows:

02:0b.0 Network Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8190 802.11n Wireless LAN

This means that my chipset is the Realtek 8190.
    That's it. Here's what one of my favorite reference sites says about that chip set. It doesn't show the WinTec but does show a Trendnet TEW-6432PI using the same chipset. It looks like the open source Linux driver for this chipset is r8190_pci

http://wikidevi.com/wiki/TRENDnet_TEW-641PC

Does that module show up in the command "lsmod"? A concern I would have with drivers included on a CD is compatibility with newer linux distros. For instance, the RealTek driver for a favorite USB wifi adapter worked great until 12.10. RealTek has not updated their driver for this device to work on 13.04 or 13.10. I did a cursory search in the wireless forum and don't find any reference to that chipset after about 2010. What I did find was using NDISwrapper which I am not at all knowledgeable about. Perhaps someone more conversant with NDISwrapper will pick up. It might be interesting to run the command "iwconfig" just to see if there's a wireless card found. Do bear in mind that Ubuntu will not usually use a wireless network connection if there's a wired connection so if you have an ethernet cable plugged in, you would probably need to unplug and probably reboot to see if there's any wireless activity.

edit: Hmmm, I did "modinfo" for r8190_pci and got nothing back. I wonder if that module is not included by default? I would probably do some poking with backports and see if I could load the appropriate software that way.
    Last edited by kurt18947; July 12th, 2013 at 11:50 PM.

Beans

"lsmod" does not list any modules involving r8190_pci. Also, iwconfig does not show any wireless cards installed! Please tell me how to get this card working!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Hi, welcome to the forum! Please open a terminal ctrl+alt+t copy and paste the following commands into it one line at a time, then paste the results here:

Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release; uname -a
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    lsusb
    iwconfig
    rfkill list all
    lsmod
    by clicking on new reply and click # then paste the information between the brackets.
    Thank you

Beans

Just to clarify: I am using Ubuntu Server which means NO GUI OR Desktop Environment! I will post the results in a moment.

Beans

Here are the results
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Here are the result cont'd.

Beans

Here are the results cont'd.