Thread: File sharing

Beans

File sharing

Hello all, I am trying to have my Ubuntu server and windows 7 machine talk to each other I have installed samba with no luck and I continue to get an error message on the windows side saying I do not have the correct permissions. then on the Ubuntu side I do not see windows at all. any thoughts on how I may be able to fix this? thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: File sharing

Generally, you can share folders on Ubuntu by right clicking on a folder, selecting properties, and enabling sharing from the properties window.

This does not work if your Windows 7 installation has homegroups enabled.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

hello sandyd, I turned off the homegroup setting but it says I am still not authorized to access the drive. it gives this error message "The account is not authorized to log in from this station".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't dealt with Windows 7. Have you created user accounts (Linux and Samba) on the Ubuntu machine?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

I have two accounts right now on the Ubuntu machine they are both admin accounts one has no password I thought that might make it easier but it did not .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't tried the right-click/share method, either.
    I've always used smb.conf which requires the user to have both a Linux account AND a Samba account.
    If I click on the Home folder, then Browse Net..., I can see my Samba server and a Windows 7 machine (not mine).
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyc42 View Post
    hello sandyd, I turned off the homegroup setting but it says I am still not authorized to access the drive. it gives this error message "The account is not authorized to log in from this station".
    I remember a setting I had to set on the windows side....except that I am running windows 8.

Give me a sec, and I will tell you the options you have to set
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.