Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Laptop Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200 i7-4700MQ HD4600

Beans

Ubuntu on Laptop Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200 i7-4700MQ HD4600

Hi

First, I am new on the forums, but I have been using Linux for about 2 years now in my desktop computer.

I just bought a Laptop. Toshiba satellite P75-A7200.
    Proc: i7-4700MQ
    Video: HD4600
    RAM 8GB
    It has Windows 8 preinstalled

For what I have read, the processor and video architecture are rather new. I have not found any other thread that is having this issue:

I want to have dual boot on this computer, but before installing, I wanted to test using the LiveCD.
    I followed the instructions to disable fast boot and Windows 8 fast boot feature from here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

However, when I tried to boot from the LiveCD I got a black screen after selecting the option to try ubuntu or install ubuntu.
    After reading the forums I found and used the option "nomodeset", which allowed the boot process complete and get to a command prompt session, but the gui is not working.
    If I use startx, it fails. The log says that screens were found, but non is usable.

I would like to see that the livecd can work with the laptop before installing.
    If you tell me how to, I can gladly post the XServer log here.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Laptop Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200 i7-4700MQ HD4600

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am using Ubuntu 13.04 LiveCD 64

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I had somewhat the same problem with an Intel HD4000 + NVidia GT650M combo (and Kubuntu 13.04). I also got a black screen. For me the solution was to just increase the screen brightness using <Fn> + <Arrow right>. You might have a similar keyboard combination for setting the brightness. You could try that?

Beans

Hi DeathByDenim

I don't think that the bright of the screen is the problem, since it seems to turn off (otherwise, when you turn the bright to the lowest level, you can still see the image), and when I use "nomodeset" option to boot, the command line appears fine on the screen.
    Anyway, I tried what you mentioned just for fun, and it did not work.

Beans
    Distro

That's too bad. That would have been an easy solution.
    Could you try the boot parameter "acpi=off" instead of nomodeset? That's by no means a permanent solution, since it turns off all energy savings, but it might get the liveCD to work at least.

By the way, both Intel and AMD Radeon seem to have an HD4600. Which one do you have?

Beans

It is Intel HD4600
    I tried using Ubuntu 13.04 with nomodeset and acpi=off, and it got stuck with a black screen that says only:
    [38.783622] init:failsafe-x main process (2923) terminated with status 1

I had to force power off

Then I tried the same Ubuntu disk with acpi=off only, and it worked!
    What does that mean? Is it a problem with the Video Driver for intel HD4600 or the processor i7-4700MQ or Toshiba mother board?
    I would not like to boot always with acpi off, since it is a laptop.

Is there something I can do to fix that?

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, acpi=off was only meant for testing purposes and at least get the liveCD going. It allows you to at least install Ubuntu 13.04 to the hard drive if you wish.
    I'm not entirely sure on how to get it running afterwards though. The processor is certainly not the problem. I suspect the video driver.

Could you try these boot parameters though (instead of acpi=off):
    Code:
    acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByDenim View Post
    I suspect the video driver.
    Hi, everyone. I'm not new to the forums, but I almost never log in and post. I've been a Linux user and system administrator for 15 years -- other *nix systems longer.

I just picked up a P75-A7200 a couple of days ago and I have the same problem. FYI, the same thing happens during boot with all of the Linux distros I have on CD/DVD, except for Knoppix, which boots and runs from the live DVD perfectly.

This is, indeed, very likely a video driver issue. I'm going to take a little time today to figure out which driver Knoppix is loading (Iwas doing too many things at once when I booted it yesterday), and I'll keep an eye on this thread, as well.

Beans

I'd like to throw a few more details in here.
    I am also having this issue on a new p75-a7200
    The graphics processor is on the CPU and is intel hd 4600
    I have the same experience as guillerd with the 13.04 64-bit live dvd. I was able to edit the grub command to "nomodeset" and get into a fullscreen terminal.
    Using the same "nomodeset" on the 'install ubuntu' command line allowed me to get into the graphical installer, which worked fine.

Now I have ubuntu 13.04 installed and can boot into it but there is no gui.
    I do see the purple ubuntu screen with the four colored dots, then an error which is too quick to read, and then the full screen terminal.
    I've tried adding the xorg-edgers repository with mesa 9.2 video driver (because I read somewhere that this was working on intel hd 4600) but that didn't seem to do anything for me.
    I use the command line all the time, but this isn't really the linux experience I was looking for.

I would also like to note that I didn't disable fastboot or secure boot. I don't think those are relevant here but you never know.

Beans

Just a quick note: DBD's suggested acpi boot parameters (osi=Linux, backlight=vendor) worked fine for me.

I'll install to the HD and explore and report.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast