Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 main ideas but everything still fuzzy now

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question 3 main ideas but everything still fuzzy now

Hi,

I hope this is the right place for such king of threads

I'm a former member of Lubuntu Team (2 years with Lubuntu Team): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad

I have resigned 2 days ago.

I'm now free.

For the last two years, I've been one of the most active members and have done a lot. It is time for me to seek a new challenge. However, I'm still not sure what path is better to take? I have 3 main ideas as of now:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad#Fut...es.2BAC8-Plans

What do you think?

I'd like to hear from you

P.S.
    If this is not the right place to post such threads, feel free to move it to the right category - it's been ages since I started a new thread here

Beans

Re: 3 main ideas but everything still fuzzy now

maybe a bit in all of them?
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    maybe a bit in all of them?
    Hmm, that is even more fuzzy and confusing

But thanks for posting

P.S.
    I was already doing 1 and 2 for two years and had plans/ideas for option 3 in the process. So, if truth to be told, I was kind of doing all of them at the same time. However, this time, I prefer to go for one and focus more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please expand on what characteristics that your custom distro would have. Perhaps there is already a distro that is close to your ideal distro, then you could support that project.

Lubuntu is perfect except for the following:

I haven't been following Lubuntu development, so perhaps fill us in as to why you are leaving the project?
    Last edited by tgalati4; July 9th, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Please expand on what characteristics that your custom distro would have. Perhaps there is already a distro that is close to your ideal distro, then you could support that project.
    Because the huge amount of love that I have for Lubuntu, each and every project in my mind for the last two year was based on Lubuntu.

This is one of these projects: http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/06/mini-lubuntu-part-2.html
    Part 1 can be found as a link on that post on my blog.

I have two more project but both on Hold. Yes, based on Lubuntu as well but that can be changed. I mean, after all, Lubuntu is the lightweight variant of Ubuntu. The main system is Ubuntu after all.

Lubuntu is perfect except for the following:

First of all, there is no OS is prefect and yes, there is always exceptions but what do you mean by 1, 2 and 3?

Are we talking about:
    [QUOTE]
    • Idea 1: Join another community/project and take it to the next level, just like I did with Lubuntu for the last two years - I'm not really sure I will go for this one.
    • Idea 2: Work on my own on some projects like Start Linux (the advance phase of Start Ubuntu). Be Linux Advocate. Join some communities, etc.
    • Idea 3: Have my own Linux Distribution - I feel I have reached to the point where it is possible to start such project.

I haven't been following Lubuntu development, so perhaps fill us in as to why you are leaving the project?
    I'm sorry, I prefer not to go into my reasons of leaving the project. All what I can tell is it's been 2 years of very hard work and long hours. Having achieved so much:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad#My_...h_Lubuntu_Team
    and trust me, that was not easy. My health was going down and down, less hours of rest, sleep, etc. Maybe that is one of the reasons. Loving something so much to the addiction and even beyond, is not that good.

Just to be extra clear, I'm not a developer. I have done EVERYTHING except:
    1- Developing
    2- Artwork
    3- Translation

Except the above 3, I used to do everything.

But, for me, it is time to change. Time for new challenge. I am looking to expand my skills and experience even further. I must take it to the next level and this is the time for that. The more I stay with Lubuntu, the more tasks I find to myself. Well, I just found a new Sub-Team for the team[1] [2]. Perhaps, if I stayed more with the team, I guess I would have started to learn more about codes and development and I'm afraid this is not my thing. I prefer to interact with people much more than with codes.

Lubuntu as a system is doing well. The first releases were not that impressive. Now, things have changed a lot.

Back to talk about: http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/06/mini-lubuntu-part-2.html
    I might start to find team members and go for this. However, I'm not sure the community needs something like that or not?
    Yes, it would be lighter than Lubuntu. Yes, it won't be for everyone. I mean, for new comers to Linux, that won't be a good option for them, only for average or above average Linux Users who know what is going on and what to do.

What else you would like to know?

[1] - https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-brainstorming
    [2] - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...ly/004904.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

First of all, there is no OS is prefect and yes, there is always exceptions but what do you mean by 1, 2 and 3?
    He was saying that if you'd like to take your third option and start a new distro of your own, you could take a model (like your own Lubuntu) and list the three top things you could improve on. (Of course, your Lubuntu Mini project already sounds like work in exactly that sort of vein.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    He was saying that if you'd like to take your third option and start a new distro of your own, you could take a model (like your own Lubuntu) and list the three top things you could improve on. (Of course, your Lubuntu Mini project already sounds like work in exactly that sort of vein.)
    Hmm, but Lubuntu is not 'my' project
    I have joined the project in 2011 and Lubuntu started in 2009.

If I wanted to go for one of my ideas/projects/plan and do that new system, I will for sure have a full list of advantages and disadvantages. I already have that in mind but not written yet.

But yet again, I'm not sure yet which path shall I take? that is why I started this thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to The Cafe.

This is better. Welcome to your freedom!
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 9th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Thread moved to The Cafe.

This is better. Welcome to your freedom!
    Hey, long time no see
    I'm glad that you are still around and not sure if you remember me

OH YES, FREEDOM is nice hehe

P.S.
    Thanks for moving it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Memory is vague but hi anyhow!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast