Thread: Transparency for panel not working?

Beans

Transparency for panel not working?

I have Ubuntu 13.10 installed as a guest in VirtualBox. I notice I can't make the panel transparent with Ubuntu Tweak Tool or CCSM or whatever. Any thoughts?
    "I've asked you a million times not to exaggerate!"
    iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Re:How to set a fully trans or nearly so panel

Well, you can make it transparent but it's quite possible that you won't want to do that due to this open, unconfirmed bug, started in raring -
    Basically you have to enable a custom Background Color which is done by raising it's opacity setting to any value above 0

But because the panel is now affected by the Dash's opacity setting, to have a transparent panel the Dash will also be trans or nearly so. Plus the Launcher & Panel will now use the Background Color you've chosen. That sometimes produces good results though often is terrible.

(you can leave the custom color @ #000000 if that fits your Desktop background.

Here I used to use a fully trans panel but now go with background of black, opacity set fairly high, 170+, panel opacity of 0, launcher opacity here or there... & no blur

If you fool around you may find something suitable, maybe even with a trans panel
    (most custom colors tried here seemed too 'flat', have only really used black or a single r or b, no blur is a bit better on older hardware, not an issue for you.
    Last edited by mc4man; July 11th, 2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: title

Beans

Re: Transparency for panel not working?

thanks. I'll give it a try.
    "I've asked you a million times not to exaggerate!"
    iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB