Thread: Connecting to Samsung Galaxy S4 via USB

Beans

Connecting to Samsung Galaxy S4 via USB

I just got a new phone and I want to start putting stuff on it like my music, but Ubuntu won't display the contents of the device when I connect via USB. I've tried looking into this problem, and I followed this guide, but I didn't have any luck in getting this to work. I also looked here but I don't really understand what mtp or gvfs or any of that is so I have no idea if my device even qualifies for these guides. Anyone know what could be going wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Connecting to Samsung Galaxy S4 via USB

If you're running 13.04, you should be able to connect without problems. I recently installed 13.04 (Mint 15) and was surprised that my Galaxy S3 could NOW be recognized!

There are threads about installing MTP in 12.10 or lower, but I tried all of those I could find and none of them worked -- for me.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Re: Connecting to Samsung Galaxy S4 via USB

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    If you're running 13.04, you should be able to connect without problems. I recently installed 13.04 (Mint 15) and was surprised that my Galaxy S3 could NOW be recognized!

There are threads about installing MTP in 12.10 or lower, but I tried all of those I could find and none of them worked -- for me.
    Well turns out you can only access the phone by using the USB to USB mini cable that comes with the phone. I was using the cable from my last phone to charge it, and I thought it would let it connect to my laptop as well, but I guess only the new one does. Oops.