Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UEFI/Secure Boot and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

UEFI/Secure Boot and Ubuntu

So. I've tried to install Ubuntu (and other distros) on this computer to no avail.

My computer specs can be found here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=12454

Considering I'm having a ridiculous time installing any Linux OS on this UEFI computer, I was wondering what your thoughts might be on this link: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/858. Geared towards the Linux Mint community, it seems a good fit for any distro. As I would be ditching Windows 8 completely in favor of a 100% Linux box, you think this might do the trick?
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: UEFI/Secure Boot and Ubuntu

Can you tell us more about... why you can't install Ubuntu? what happens when you try to install Ubuntu? Are any Errors reported?
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro

I get "No OS Found" or something like that. Fast boot was disabled in Windows 8 before attempting installation of Ubuntu. This happens with ALL distros I've tried.

Still, I'm curious if it's a good thing to convert my harddrive from GPT partition table to MBR partition table (or MSDOS in Linux).

From the link above:
    "Use a distro of your choice in live mode. Find the program GPARTED. Wait until it recognizes all your drives and select your HDD. Right click over it, and choose the option to create a new partition table. Choose MSDOS from the list. Hit ok than apply/commit all changes. ATTENTION this will erase all your data and MS Windows (or any other OS) will disappear. Your HDD is now converted in MSDOS or MBR. You can now boot your preferred distro, create your partition scheme and install Linux."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

Beans
    Distro

I obviously don't want to try the scenario I posted above unless/until I can get verification that it won't "brick" my computer.

But, in the BIOS/UEFI settings, I can completely disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy settings. In the Windows 8 power settings, Fast Boot is already disabled. Will this be enough to install Ubuntu and wipe Windows from the drive leaving me a 100% Ubuntu box?
    Last edited by Uncle Spellbinder; July 6th, 2013 at 11:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I also had a new Windows 8 computer with that stupid UEFI deal and tried a few times to install Linux on it to no avail. Ended up taking the computer back for a full refund and used the money to buy two older non-UEFI computers which I installed Ubuntu on without a hitch. Sometimes newer isn't necessarily better.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro

So, through the BIOS settings, I disabled secure boot, disabled uefi settings, enabled legacy settings and disabled fast boot. Ubuntu 13.04 installed as I remember on previous machines. I chose the "replace windows 8" option. All seems well so far.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If 'replace Windows8' was your goal, Then I am glad you've got it.

FYI, Ubuntu since version 12.04.2 can boot with 'Secure Boot' enabled in UEFI mode with GPT.
    Windows8 has this 'Fast Startup' feature which won't let the PC 'Shutdown' and keeps it in Hibernation for fast startups. Since PC won't shutdown properly it won't allow any OS to install. This feature needs to be turned off if we want to dual-boot. 'Fast Boot' is a different feature.

GUID Partition Table is both superior and advantageous than 'msdos' partition table. You can search the www to know more. Installing Ubuntu on GPT is recommended. Its the future.

Since you've just installed Ubuntu, I'd suggest you re-install it in UEFI mode with GPT.

My two cents....

Beans
    Distro

It's a bit confusing. For example, Though Windows 8 is not on this computer any longer, If I enter UEFI settings, there is still a "Windows bootloader" under UEFI settings. How is this possible If I've removed Windows 8?

Is there a good tutorial on how to install Ubuntu alone (no dual-boot) in UEFI mode?

Beans
    Distro

So, I returned all settings in UEFI to their original state. Tried to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode to no avail. I created a 50mb EFI boot partition as described in several different tutorials. No go.

I still find it odd that an entry for Windows Bootloader is in the UEFI settings when there is no Windows OS on the computer.

Any guidance appreciated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

50 MB is too small make it 300mb FAT32 Partition.

Though Windows 8 is not on this computer any longer, If I enter UEFI settings, there is still a "Windows bootloader" under UEFI settings. How is this possible If I've removed Windows 8?
    That is because UEFI booting store some entires in the BIOS. These can be managed/removed later using efibootmgr...

Boot with Ubuntu LiveDVD/USB and post the output of:

Code:
    sudo parted -l

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast