Thread: how to increase RAM ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

how to increase RAM ?

Hello Ubunters

What a silly question, eh? You only need find the suitable memory bar for your computer, stupid.
    Well, the problem is I bought this slim computer a year ago or so. When I opened it the other day I found that the slot which is there to receive the memory bar is placed right under the CD/DVD drive!!!!
    So I my only hope is that there is perhaps a software I could use on a memory STICK and which could boost the ram ?
    Thanks in advance to anyone for help.

some technical features :

vendor: FOXCONN
    version: 1.0
    serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.6 dmi-2.6 smp-1.4 smp
    configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop cpus=2 uuid=7AB02C9C-1E00-1911-E7CE-D0278805B132
    *-core
    description: Motherboard
    product: TPS01
    vendor: FOXCONN
    physical id: 0
    version: 1.0
    serial: UL81035064864
    slot: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    *-firmware
    description: BIOS
    vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
    physical id: 0
    version: 080015 (06/07/2010)
    size: 64KiB
    capacity: 960KiB
    capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgradeshadowing cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int5printscreen int9keyboardint14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb ls120boot zipboot biosbootspecification
    *-cpu:0
    description: CPU
    product: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 4
    bus info: cpu@0
    version: 6.12.10
    serial: 0001-06CA-0000-0000-0000-0000
    slot: CPU 1
    size: 1800MHz
    capacity: 1800MHz
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 200MHz

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: how to increase RAM ?

Quote Originally Posted by christon74 View Post
    a software I could use on a memory STICK and which could boost the ram
    It's called swap and Linux does support swap partitions and files. However, swap performance is always awful due to extra IO and low bandwidth. And you probably don't want to use any kind of flash memory for swap anyway because flash cells can only take a limited number of writes.

If the DVD drive is really blocking that memory slot, I'd suggest to remove it and seal the front panel with a sticker or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    If the DVD drive is really blocking that memory slot, I'd suggest to remove it and seal the front panel with a sticker or something.
    And buy a cheapo IDE/SATA enclosure and have it as an external usb dvd drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

It sounds to me like you want to add more RAM to your computer. First you need to figure out if you have DDR1, 2 or 3 and how many pins your SODIMM is, 200, 204 or 240. Then you need to find out how much RAM your system can actual handle. My older NC78230 is a 32bit system and can only handle 2GB's of RAM. The newer 64bit systems can handle more. I have a 1GB Stick under the keyboard(internal) and a 1GB Stick under the pannel on the bottom of my laptop(external) so I'm maxed out at 2GB. You should be able to find out info about your computer by searching on the Interweb. There should be a .pdf book somewhere that you can download. Good luck.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"