Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a policy to make it hard for geeks to put back stuff that's been removed?

Beans

Unhappy Is there a policy to make it hard for geeks to put back stuff that's been removed?

It seems as though every time the user interface is simplified, those of us who've been using Linux a while lose some functionality we like--for instance the removal of the Nautilus status bar: it's been turned off by default for quite a while now, but in the latest versions, it's just gone. There's still an entry for it in Dconf, but it doesn't seem to affect the bottom of the Nautilus window. Is there a policy that when things are simplified, functionality is actually removed, rather than just made more difficult to turn on? I've been using Linux since before kernel v. 1.0, back when we had to write our own mode lines for the X server, so I don't mind mucking about with config files and the rest. It's just disappointing when the developers totally remove functionality that was useful. It's also interesting to come across undocumented features that seem to be difficult to deliberately change, like the option to have the user's desktop wallpaper be reproduced on the welcome screen. I've accidentally turned that on a couple times, and I sort of like it, but when I wander in to the dconf listings, the settings seem to be there to be able to turn it on, but they don't seem to do much, either.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Is there a policy to make it hard for geeks to put back stuff that's been removed

edit the source code and compile it, or use different software that is not managed by the gnome developers
    you may want to try a different DE like mate or xfce where features are being added instead of removed, they still need the eye candy compiz had though cinnamon is ok as well, i don't have any exp with kde
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is there a policy to make it hard for geeks to put back stuff that's been removed

No. Software is being designed to appeal to mainstream users. The majority of users, for instance, make only the most basic use of a file manager.

I also remember editing X config files, and coping with a lot of other inadequacies, especially hardware support. Glad those days are gone.

The capabilities exposed in a GUI are always going to be limited compared to using the shell. Open a terminal and have at it.

(FOSS projects typically are always starving for personnel, so eliminating options rather than making them optional reduces the support burden.)

Moved to U,L,&OSC because this is not a support thread.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Some of us recently found out the gksu is not installed by default in Saucy Salamander. It is depreciated and to be replaced by something called pkexec. One of us had a conversation about this on developer irc and a developer expressed surprise that users want to edit configuration files anyway. What is wrong with using Vi? He asked.

I sit on the middle with this. I appreciate Ubuntu for being for humans but it is still Linux and it is still possible to do things the geeky way, to use your expression, if we want.

It is nice to be informed about future developments but that can lead to speculation and gossip about things that do not always come about.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    .... developer expressed surprise that users want to edit configuration files anyway.
    More developers need to spend more time with more users who are not developers.

I used to "liase" with in-house software developers as a part of my job. While they usually preferred to stay away from users and design and code to a written requirements document, I insisted that they spend at least one full day sitting with the employees who would, eventually, use the software they'd write. Typically, what I saw was that most of those developers began to go back to those employees for feedback on the work in progress. When we had formal evaluation sessions, I brought employees, too. Results? Better software, that users played a role in creating and did not think was being forced on them.

Beans

Most of this for me is proof that the gnome developers have gone totally insane and lost touch with the common user, in my not so humble opinion.

Beans

Oh shut up

Use something that works for you!
    Last edited by mips; July 6th, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Oh shut up

Use something that works for you!
    Just dont blame me when gnome becomes just one single button that only opens up a terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Most of this for me is proof that the gnome developers have gone totally insane and lost touch with the common user, in my not so humble opinion.
    How, specifically?

What is there about Gnome Shell that keeps someone from running the software they want to run?

Not whether or not they like Gnome Shell. That's opinion. But, what is it that people who go out of their way to assert thair hatred of Gnome Shell want to do that it prevents them from doing?

Some may find it inconvenient, and some may find it convenient. Some may like how it looks, other may not. Again, that's not relevant. Everyone uses what they like, for all kinds of reasons.

But, the animosity Gnome Shell has prompted -- sustained for more than two years -- suggests that its critics can't use it to do what they want to do. If so, what is it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast