Thread: KeePass / KeePassX - How to synchronize between Ubuntu and Windows?

Beans

KeePass / KeePassX - How to synchronize between Ubuntu and Windows?

I have a work computer running windows (don't shun me, they make me us it) and my laptop at home runs Ubuntu 13.10 currently. I have a bunch of passwords at work and a bunch of personal ones both in a single DB file but have 2 copies of the DB, one at work and one at home. I try to keep them in sync manually. When I make a change at work, I update my DB at home, etc. I've read that KeepassX has a sync option but it isn't listed in any of my menus (version 0.4.3). I've also tried exporting and manually syncing but that wasn't too successful and was very time consuming. I don't really want to use the USB method for fear of losing the USB drive and also I don't need to sync that often so I would end up spending more time pulling out the USB drive when ever I needed to look up a PW.

I'm not stuck on KeePassX, I'm just looking for a program that runs on Ubuntu and Windows that will let me sync 2 different db files to keep them up to date.

Beans

Re: KeePass / KeePassX - How to synchronize between Ubuntu and Windows?

Just put the database on a USB drive and keep a backup at home? The thing is, even if you lose the USB, if you've set up a strong password the worst that happens is you lose the databaes, which is why backing it up is important. No one's getting into KeyPass if you use a strong password.

Or look into LastPass.
    sig

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Man View Post
    Just put the database on a USB drive and keep a backup at home? The thing is, even if you lose the USB, if you've set up a strong password the worst that happens is you lose the databaes, which is why backing it up is important. No one's getting into KeyPass if you use a strong password.

Or look into LastPass.
    Pretty much nailed it. You will probably want to keep the key backed up as well.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

The other reason I don't want to go down the USB path is that there are rumors at work that they may take away our ability to use a USB on our laptops. Then I have a process that doesn't work at all.

Beans

Well, you could use DropBox to sync the KeyPass file, but I would consider LastPass more secure, especially because it supports multi-factor auth, and a lot of encryption.
    sig

Beans

I wouldn't recommend Dropbox for storing sensitive data.
    http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/...t-hacking.html
    But the idea isn't terrible to sync it with some *slightly more secure* cloud service. Just make sure your company doesn't block the service you want to use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sounds like dropbox needs to fix that flaw in their account system. FWIW, I've seen the same thing happen with other software, mostly forums and the like that allowed a user to access another user's information/PM/etc.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I wouldn't really suggest dropbox either, but I know people use it. LastPass is the way to go I think.
    sig

Beans
    Distro

I use Spideroak to sync the database between ubuntu, windows and Android.