Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus and Malware

Beans

Virus and Malware

So I'm still struggling with the concept of a non Virus/Malware Operating System of Linux...although I understand it is possible. So, how would I know if I get some type of Malware? Surely there must be a way to scan the Linux operating system to see if there is anything hanky-panky going on?

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Virus and Malware

You can scan for virus/malware/trojans with ClamTK but I think most of what it'll catch is stuff that'll effect Windows Op Systems, not Linux Op Systems. Coming over from OS X I'm use to not having to worry about viruses and stuff. Had a Windows 8 machine for a week, wife picked up a Trojan Horse virus off of Facebook and that was enough for me. Took the dang laptop back and used the money to buy two older used laptops and put Ubuntu 12.04LTS on em' from the start and not had a problem at all. Of course I've moved on to Back Box on my laptop but it's still Ubuntu based so it's not prone to getting viruses and stuff either.
    The way I understand it 90% of folks run Windows, 8% re running Mac and 2% run a Linux based system so if you're going to write up a virus program or malware who would you write it for? That's why Windows gets so many viruses and stuff written for it, because so many people use it they can do more damage by writting stuff for it then they can with Mac or Linux.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In addition, although i don't know all the technical reasons (perhaps someone else here could explain that) it is my understanding that linux is so much more secure by default then windows is and that makes a BIG difference also...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by GUZZLR View Post
    So I'm still struggling with the concept of a non Virus/Malware Operating System of Linux...
    Short answer - Linux is set up use password for application installs and root system configuration. One of the security strengths of a Linux distro is a strong password. Your password should have upper and lower case letters and numbers too - no words in your password.

With Ubuntu Unity, a strong password and Gufw Firewall makes for a well hardened secure system. Safe practices of downloading applications from trusted repos, also keeps your system safe.

If you want to help protect friends with Windows' machines, you can use ClamAV which scans for Windows' malware and viruses - again your Linux system is safe, ClamAV just helps you not to spread viruses to others using Windows.

Beans

The reason I ask, is I somehow got a stupid advertising thing on firefox...a little window, which "parks" itself on the lower left corner of the screen as minimized. When I went to another website, the little window would popout with an advertisement, and re-direct me, from there I would have to go back to the website I was originally trying. I no longer have this annoying advertising thing going on after I uninstalled Firefox and re-installed. But it was a very suspicious looking Windows Malware type of thing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Something like Ghostery or Noscript would probably fix that problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Do you block your 3rd party cookies? If not then you can get pop up advertisements underneath your browser windows from some websites...that's browser rather then linux related so important to block those...if you have some websites that you need to have 3rd party cookies activated, just add those particular ones to your exceptions lists...This is what i do with my Google Chrome and it works beautifully to avoid those...

However that isn't malware implanted on your system if that's what you are getting...those 3rd party cookies that bring them up get implanted on your browser and you can avoid that by doing what i just suggested...
    Last edited by craig10x; July 6th, 2013 at 12:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by GUZZLR View Post
    The reason I ask, is I somehow got a stupid advertising thing on firefox...
    Ad Block Plus in Firefox > Tools > Add-ons, don't browse without it

If you want a guide to help you learn how setup a firewall with iptables, check out this link:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Simple_Stateful_Firewall
    (ufw with gufw should be enough)

Also any OS can get viruses, Ubuntu's "virus-free" is better stated as "virus-resistant" (rather malware); as long as a network is up an attack is always possible. Keep in mind that you probably won't get a virus as the chances of that happening are very low, as long as you DO NOT install obscure and suspicious packages, log into root for everything, and especially these two together you will be fine. Just another bonus, you are WAY more likely to be attacked on an Apple machine than any GNU/Linux distro.

/* Just for fun, if you REALLY want a bullet-proof system you could set up a proxy with OpenBSD */
    Last edited by KARNVORbeefRAGE; August 6th, 2013 at 05:20 AM.

Beans

Code:
    Ad Block Plus in Firefox > Tools > Add-ons, don't browse without it
    Actually, I have always used Ad Block Plus, but it did not work for this. The only way I could get rid of it was simply unnstall/reinstall
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast