Lubuntu

IM for ubuntu?

which IM is good for ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: IM for ubuntu?

Empathy and Pidgin are popular.

You could also try web-based services like Meebo.

Beans

I personally think the best IM system is Google's new Hangouts, particularly if you and/or your friends and family are Google users. Best to use Google Chrome browser and install the Hangouts extension. That gives you the simplicity of a web client with the functionality of a full native client and provides chat, voice, video, and video conferencing. All free and no software to install so it works as well on linux as on Windows/Mac/Android/iOS. The Hangouts app on Android and IOS is excellent and all conversations are maintained across all your devices. I still use Skype chat and video where I have to but use Hangouts mostly when I can now.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i tried to download yahoo messenger because IM can be sent to a mobile phone w/o fees,
    and
    got message which is like this, "this kind of a software will damage your computer...."
    Is yahoo messenger bad to a computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Pidgin seems to be working good...
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Pidgin or Konversation are ok.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Google Talk uses the XMPP (Jabber) standardized protocol. In the Ubuntu repositories you have the following IM clients which should support Google Talk: ekg2, emesene, gajim, jwchat, kadu, kopete, licq, pidgin, psi, psi-plus, qutim and tkabber.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Google Talk uses the XMPP (Jabber) standardized protocol. In the Ubuntu repositories you have the following IM clients which should support Google Talk: ekg2, emesene, gajim, jwchat, kadu, kopete, licq, pidgin, psi, psi-plus, qutim and tkabber.
    Google has superceded Talk with Hangouts (which amalgamates the old Talk + Chat + Messenger + Old Hangouts) and it uses a proprietary messaging protocol, not xmpp. You will not be able to use 3rd party/external clients anymore.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Google has superceded Talk with Hangouts (which amalgamates the old Talk + Chat + Messenger + Old Hangouts) and it uses a proprietary messaging protocol, not xmpp. You will not be able to use 3rd party/external clients anymore.
    Thanks for the heads-up, markbl. We're always learning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix01 View Post
    i tried to download yahoo messenger because IM can be sent to a mobile phone w/o fees,
    and
    got message which is like this, "this kind of a software will damage your computer...."
    Is yahoo messenger bad to a computer?
    No. It's a warning that downloading random programs from the internet may be risky, because you don't know that the program is not a virus.

Yahoo Messenger is a Windows program, you can't run it on Linux. You need to use Pidgin or Empathy.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast